S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
I BURN THINGS
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres my dilemma. I'm building a "race car" out of a Neon. I'm using a ford 9" for the rear axle. I want to use a spool in the rear rather than a limed slip diff. I alway thought a spool on the street = broken axle shafts. But several people I talk to said the car would be so light, that a spool would be ok to use. I'm looking for advice from someone that races or has experience with spools.

·
ZR2 Interceptor
662 Posts
If your plan is to build a "racecar", it won't be driven on the street (hence the term "racecar") so the spool properties won't be an issue. In general, spools do not compromise the integrity of the rearend but rather they cause unpredictable handling characteristics while driving in turns. They do not allow for differentiation to allow the inside wheel to spin slower than the outer.

·
I BURN THINGS
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so basicly a spool will cause shitty handling around corners? and by "race car" I should have said that I want to run at the track, but also drive it on the weekends.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Main prob your gonna have with a spool on the street is breaking axles. When 1 wheel is turning at one speed an the other at a diff speed, something has to let go, usually its the tire barking but other times its the axle snapping, depends on the weight, size of tire, speed, an traction, oh ya and luck LOL. But like the other guy stated, their no fun when turning. Get a posi, easier an safer.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Flamed 98 said:
Heres my dilemma. I'm building a "race car" out of a Neon. I'm using a ford 9" for the rear axle. I want to use a spool in the rear rather than a limed slip diff. I alway thought a spool on the street = broken axle shafts. But several people I talk to said the car would be so light, that a spool would be ok to use. I'm looking for advice from someone that races or has experience with spools.
just go pick up a ford 8.8 they are just as strong as the ford 9 and for the price of a spool you may be able to find one for the same price. Hey if your really lucky you will get the 95+ ones with disc brakes. Oh yeah they come off of ford explorers. I paid 150 for a 8.8 with 3.73 gears and a factory locker in it. They have different gears as well. just gotta search.

·
I BURN THINGS
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
need4speed2345 said:
just go pick up a ford 8.8 they are just as strong as the ford 9 and for the price of a spool you may be able to find one for the same price. Hey if your really lucky you will get the 95+ ones with disc brakes. Oh yeah they come off of ford explorers. I paid 150 for a 8.8 with 3.73 gears and a factory locker in it. They have different gears as well. just gotta search.
Do you know about how much HP and torque the stock 8.8 can handle? Right now I'm not sure what kinda motor set up I want (stroked or SC), but If I would need a bunch of upgades I'll stick with the 9".

·
I BURN THINGS
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
01black4.3 said:
A Rear drive axle in a neaon? You readoing the whole chassis and drivtrain?
Yeah, I'm building the whole new chassis. I have a 318 for it, but I'm probably gonna get a 360 to work with. I can't see doing all this work and putting one of the smallest (mopar) V-8 in it.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Flamed 98 said:
Do you know about how much HP and torque the stock 8.8 can handle? Right now I'm not sure what kinda motor set up I want (stroked or SC), but If I would need a bunch of upgades I'll stick with the 9".
well i am not entirely sure but i bet it would handle upwards of 600+ HP i have 407hp and 125HP of nitrous. But i have yet to run mine yet. I havent heard anything bad about them. Other then where the axle tubes go into the gear housing. THey have 2 pins holding them together and under high torque they tend to brake the pins, But all you have to do is weld a bead around it and it will be no problem. Oh yeah the 8.8 is a VERY popular conversion for rockcrawlers, and hot rods.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Flamed 98 said:
a pretty good amount. i'm betting it can hold over 500 ft-lbs. if you get an 8.8 out of a mustang you will only have 2.73 gears and it's a limited slip, but if you are building a "racecar" get some moser axle shafts and some richmond gears

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Flamed 98 said:
Yeah, I'm building the whole new chassis. I have a 318 for it, but I'm probably gonna get a 360 to work with. I can't see doing all this work and putting one of the smallest (mopar) V-8 in it.
there is nothing wrong with the 318 and if you want bigger cubes don't settle for a 360. get a mopar 383

·
I BURN THINGS
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
need4speed2345 said:
Oh yeah the 8.8 is a VERY popular conversion for rockcrawlers, and hot rods.
Does the 8.8 have tapered axle shafts? the 9" does not, which means it can be narrowed with stock shafts.

·
I BURN THINGS
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
p07r0457 said:
why are you using a neon body?
To make a long story short... I wanted to build something wild and I already had the neon, plus my wife thought it would be cool b/c we took that car on our honeymoon.

·
Registered
576 Posts
If you are looking for a completely set up ford 9" rear end contact currie enterprisies, but the price woll be around $2,000 or more. The big difference between the 9" & 8.8" ford rear ends is with the 9" rear end the gear carrier is removable, while it is not on the 8.8. Another important difference is in the way the axles are retained in the housing. On the 8.8" rear end the axles are retained with c clips at the inner end of the axle shaft, while the 9"rear end has the outer bearings pressed on the axle shaft & is held in place with a bolt on retaining plate at the end of the axle tube. On the 8.8" rear end if an axle breaks the wheel will come out of the housing while it will not on the 9" rear end.

·
I BURN THINGS
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
old s-10 owner said:
If you are looking for a completely set up ford 9" rear end contact currie enterprisies, but the price woll be around $2,000 or more.
I picked up a 9" for 100 bucks. I found a complete center section with a locker and 3.50 gears for $900. And moser's is about 45 minutes from my house. So I can drop the housing and shafts off and have them narrowed for either $250 or $350, I can't remember what they quoted.

·
Registered
72 Posts
i want to see pictures of this neon because that is cool shit.

·
I BURN THINGS
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Archy350 said:
i want to see pictures of this neon because that is cool shit.
I'm going to post some pics when I get alittle more into it. Right now I'm collecting parts and saving money. Currently, the car is completely gutted, and the trunk floor is cut out.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
i ran a spool on the street. all the wheel would do is slide on inside. but i had 35 spline axles and thin wall tires on 18s. wet pavement it got a lil squirrly

1 - 20 of 25 Posts