S-10 Forum banner
101 - 120 of 151 Posts

·
NTBSSHEVN
9,248 Posts
CDEEZY said:
Taking my weak ass little frame to Florida for Spring Fling if anyone wants to go dragging.
Dragging is gay

·
Registered
237 Posts
I was wondering if i built a double rail frame like you see alot of the street rod guys use out of 3x2x.25 if that would be sufficient for my x-cab? I was planning on using the stock front frame section and replacing everything from the firewall back. I attached a drawing of what i would like to do.

The black represents stock frame, blue is the 3x2x.25 and the green is round tube 1 5/8 .118 wall thickness.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Well, since my pic didn't attach could you tell me if this sounds right? On the chart it says the the deflection on a piece of 3x2x.25 is like .94in. so for two frame rails that would be .47in per 1000 pounds? So basically if i ran 4 sections of the 3x2x.25 under the cab the deflection would only be .235in per 1000 lbs. This should be plenty strong, right?

·
ITS NOT EASY BEING EASY, MODERATOR
19,339 Posts
ConnecticutX said:
mkay...i quick made this up to stop all the rumors about what size box tubing to go with for frame rails.....its kinda self explanitory, ignore the stuff in the middle, just pay attn to the hieght, width, thickness, deflection and weight. The deflection is in inches and the weight is in lbs.

BTW...this is assuming stock dimensions, a 5 foot length, and 1000lbs of force on the beam....
avteckk brought up a good point about your chart..

a stock frame is all 1/8th metal not 3/16th.

and the height and width varies from the firewall back.

·
Afterhours Admin
27,121 Posts
uh ok..but the chart isnt correct for stock rail size and people are trying to compare their choices to it..

·
Still plays with sparks
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
lol, the only way to make it 100% correct to the stock frame is to call up gm and have them send you a solid model of the frame, then stick it into a finite elament analysis program. I seriously doubt gm would ever let a drawing leave the doors, so until then i give you the estimate that is in the chart. Merry Christmas. IMO a 3/16" thick simple beam is a good estimation considering that the stock frame is much more complex then a simple 1/8" rail. Things like the overlaps, the gussets and geometry changes all make the frame stronger. Av, I know you know about those pain in the ass gussets.....And yes its 4 pages.......of nuthin but doubt.....Change my user name to AVTekk, nuthin personal Dave, and all you would read in this thread is a bunch of ass kissing about how great the chart is....but what do I know, I just build helicopters.....I vent

·
Registered
354 Posts
haha ill kiss your ass jon....call me back brotha

·
Registered
354 Posts
KCJester07 said:
I'm 6'6'', I guess I'm not a real man.
Unless your 6'6" 150 lbs

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
ConnecticutX said:
Change my user name to AVTekk, nuthin personal Dave, and all you would read in this thread is a bunch of ass kissing about how great the chart is....but what do I know, I just build helicopters.....I vent
its funny none responded to this...

·
Had To Change The Avatar
986 Posts
absolutcain said:
its funny none responded to this...
if they do they risk the consequences

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Hey connecticutx, i have a ? what is the dimensions of ur radiator and where did u get it, i like how u put it inside the core support is there a certain reason u did that?

101 - 120 of 151 Posts