S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Old Fart
3,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since Sean no longer answers I bought an LS1 brake conversion from Flynbye. Do not purchase from him as customer service is terrible! after waiting for 2 months my parts finally showed up and due to poor packing, the studs were all damaged from banging around with the other parts in the box. I tried contacting him several times but no reply so I guess I will not get new ones from him so I will have to buy them.

My question is does anyone know if I can replace the 1/2 inch studs he uses with the correct metric studs so I can use the same lug nut front and rear? I guess the other option would be to install 1/2 inch studs in my rear axles to match but I would rather keep my truck all metric to be consistent.

·
Registered
239 Posts
You should be able to just need to know the knurl measurement and stud length and replace it with the correct metric variant. If you look at the base of the stud if it's dorman there should be a 3 digit number if so i can probably get the specs for the stud that is in the hubs.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
23,836 Posts
Since Sean no longer answers I bought an LS1 brake conversion from Flynbye. Do not purchase from him as customer service is terrible! after waiting for 2 months my parts finally showed up and due to poor packing, the studs were all damaged from banging around with the other parts in the box. I tried contacting him several times but no reply so I guess I will not get new ones from him so I will have to buy them.

My question is does anyone know if I can replace the 1/2 inch studs he uses with the correct metric studs so I can use the same lug nut front and rear? I guess the other option would be to install 1/2 inch studs in my rear axles to match but I would rather keep my truck all metric to be consistent.
I've tried to warn people about Fly N Bye...nobody listens.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
23,836 Posts
Have you tried calling Kore3? They have a number of conversions. They might have something that works that's not specifically designed for the S10.

·
Been there Done it
8,383 Posts

·
Old Fart
3,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for trying but Kore3 just lists complete kits for Corvette brake upgrades and the Jegs link is just caliper brackets. I need either replacement studs for the hubs I already have or new hubs with the correct 12mm studs.

·
Old Fart
3,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You should be able to just need to know the knurl measurement and stud length and replace it with the correct metric variant. If you look at the base of the stud if it's dorman there should be a 3 digit number if so i can probably get the specs for the stud that is in the hubs.
I'm wondering since 1/2 is larger than 12mm if I will be able to find studs to fit the holes in 12mm?

·
B4U Task Force Admin
23,836 Posts
Enter a dispute with your credit card company,PayPal....that will get this attention.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'm wondering since 1/2 is larger than 12mm if I will be able to find studs to fit the holes in 12mm?
1/2 should be larger than 12mm, but when pressing studs into a hub its the base of the stud where its knurled that matters. As long as you have the correct diameter on the knurl you can press 12mm studs into a hub. Worst case if you have to knock a stud out and measure the hole and the knurl of the stud, a small auto parts store should have a book to go through or bins to measure studs from so bring a caliper with you.

·
Old Fart
3,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got them a while ago but didn't notice the 1/2 studs till a few weeks ago.

·
Been there Done it
8,383 Posts
They probably used the 1/2" because they are a lot stronger.
I know it's a matter of seeking perfection, but would having different size lug nuts on the front be that big an issue as long as you remember to keep them separate?
Since the 1/2" are bigger and stronger maybe you should consider enlarging the holes in the rear axles and going 1/2" all around. That might be easier than finding 12mm studs that fit the larger 1/2" holes. Just measure the OD of the knurl on the studs you get and enlarge the holes in the axles. The drill should be about .017-.027 smaller than the knurl. Since these are really big studs I'd shoot for the middle. Like .022.

·
Old Fart
3,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will decide when I pull the axles to replace the backing plates on my new rear which way I'm going to correct the issue. I have to replace the studs that were damaged in shipping anyway.

·
Been there Done it
8,383 Posts
Can't just run a thread chaser down them?

·
time to get cereal
3,036 Posts
You don't have a machine shop nearby? The plans are floating around here still pretty sure.

·
Old Fart
3,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You don't have a machine shop nearby? The plans are floating around here still pretty sure.
There are lots of them but most have big contracts and don't want to mess with the small stuff. When I was still working I could get the guys in the maintenance shop to do stuff for me after work but I don't have that luxury anymore. I just made a new connection that may be able to help in the future but not to that level of friendship yet.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts