S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know i know ,flux sucks but i dont really have the money for a decent welder or pay someone to do it right now . ive done mig in highschool but that was 20 years ago. my neighbors father gave me this hf flux core welder ,looks cheap as shit .im gunna tri to use it and was woundering if there is any trick or tips i need to know about befor i start . ive looked on youtube today ,and got an idea .i only have to close up some holes the size of a sharpie marker or smaller in the floor boards . thanks guys

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
haha no, my son was home from skool today and was doing math homework ,i was multi tasking here and homework and writing a few checks for bills ,prob was writing while talking to him ,it was only 12 years to clear that up ,i bet my checks are messed up to. anyway what gauge is the metal on the floor.agian any help info would be great ,gunna try this sunday.

·
Sold :'(
7,561 Posts
Lol @ "skool".

Anyway, for small holes in thin sheetmetal, using flux core may be more trouble than it's worth. Flux burns much hotter and is messier, so you're probably gonna make more of a mess than repair anything. Now, if you got a new floor board (new or a solid piece from a junkyard, and cut out the old one while leaving enough around the edge for the new panel to sit on, it would be easier to weld with the flux. But, you'd still have to be careful with the heat.

·
CNC Plasma Cutting
2,427 Posts
I've done everything from bodywork to structural welding with flux core. *IF* you know how to weld properly, flux will work just fine for doing the bodywork. As stated, it does burn hotter, so you'll have to account for that. If needing to make more than one tack weld, need to clean the previous weld first (wire wheel instead of wire brush if possible). You'll spend more time waiting for things to cool down before adding another tack is all.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Slam black dont sopose you want to weld my issues for me if I can hack with the flux core .only thing is I dont have any other plugs in the house than the normal house hold plug. Pm me , let me know

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well , I know im not a welder but this sh!t sucks .I tried to seal up two little holes (pencil size) an made them bigger . Had it on the lowest setting and wire spd slow and a little further away from the work and it burnt through. Not happy , is there anything I can do to stop that besides a new welder or someone else welding it .

·
Tech Mod
30,700 Posts
Put a piece of thick copper on the backside of the hole you are trying to weld.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
like i said im no welder ,ive done some mig and tig in high skool but the teacher put me with a senior that set everything up and didnt really show me how to and its been a long time .i looked at the sheet that came with the welder and did it accordingly ,burt through .i changed the settings and it worked better , still burnt through tho .seemed to weld better to itself than the actual floor ,like once i had a tack . im gunna look at work for a thick piece of copper ,how thick does it have to be ?just thicker than the floor ?

·
Yes, they're all mine
3,042 Posts
Start welding on the good material and tack your way over the hole from the weld itself don't go to fast and just do tacks. Once you have a small tack you should be able to build from that without burning through.

·
Tech Mod
30,700 Posts
like i said im no welder ,ive done some mig and tig in high skool but the teacher put me with a senior that set everything up and didnt really show me how to and its been a long time .i looked at the sheet that came with the welder and did it accordingly ,burt through .i changed the settings and it worked better , still burnt through tho .seemed to weld better to itself than the actual floor ,like once i had a tack . im gunna look at work for a thick piece of copper ,how thick does it have to be ?just thicker than the floor ?
yes. i have a piece of 1/4" thick copper about 1.5" square that i use for filling holes on certain projects. it came from a 600 amp buss fuse.

either way, the weld wont stick to the copper no matter what. but the thicker the piece the better. it may "stick" slightly, but just knock it off with a hammer.

·
Headbanger Boogie
1,789 Posts
Flux sucks for this stuff. Only welder i have to use is my old mans beat up miller cricket and I hate the thing with a fiery passion. Only time I've ever got a decent weld with it was doing something standing up on my bench, used it for exhaust work and was wretched. I have used it on the sheet metal a little bit on the truck, and i will be using it to patch a small rust hole in my cab I recently noticed. I'm no welder myself by any means, but I did alright before by keeping the wire feed around 5-6 and lowering the heat down and going slow.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts