S-10 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
HP and SPL inside
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be putting an exhaust on and I was wondering if there was a noticeable power difference between the single and dual out witha Flowmaster 40 series..

I am going to have a cat back made and want to get the most performance possible. Just curious if one or the other has advantages or disadvantages.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
Well, supposedly the single exhaust gives the most performance due to the loss of backpressure when using duals. I've got a single out flowmaster 40 turndown and it was a nice little power gain and sounds good to boot. :D Duals look cooler though.

BTW, welcome to the forum. :thumbup:

·
Proud to be a Cop!!!
939 Posts
Are you planning on just replacing the muffler back or what? For the best performance and looks in one package, do this:
To make up for the loss of backpressure when you add dual out, replace the pipe between the muffler and cat w/ 3". Put 2 1/2 to 3" pipe from the muffler to the tips. This makes up for the loss of pressure. Dual definately looks better. If you're worried about cops, don't go with turn downs. Its louder, but cops hate it (trust me I know, I work w/ cops) Myself, I put camaro tips on my exhaust and had them exit out the side right behind the tires. LOOKS SWEET:headbang:

·
I'd Rather be Blown than Injected
251 Posts
In my opinon a single 2.5 or 3" cat back will give you your best
performance with a good muffler.

·
HP and SPL inside
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a lot..
I am going to go with a single out.. It is cheaper to have 1 rather than 2 made. I also get the idea that the single out gives better performance.
Thanks
Jesse

·
Proud to be a Cop!!!
939 Posts
:rolleyes: Heres the scoop. Its all personal preference. As far as louder goes, Duals are the way to go. Performance wise, usually a single out will make 1-2 more hp, unless you set it up wisely (SEE MY FIRST REPLY) A friend of mine has the exact same truck as I do, except he has a single out. In Sacramento, there is a shop you can dyno your veh for $15. I actually pulled 4 more hp than he did w/ duals. Earlier that day, before we put our exhaust systems on, he had one more horse than I did. So take it how you want. Finally, Louder does not mean power. On the S-10/S-15's backpressure = power. These trucks rely on backpressure for their torque.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts