S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey.. anyone have a 2.2 with a flowmaster 40 series with no tailpipe and with just a turn down?? cause.. i got a gibson with a turn down right off the muffler.. i was wondering if the flowmaster would be quiter for my truck..

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
just put a tailpipe on. anything is going to be loud with just a turndown.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i can't put a tailpipe on my truck.. if i do.. the axle hits the pipe and its really annoying.. so whats the quietest muffler out there thats not stock...

·
Black SS
5,869 Posts
Gibson mufflers are quiet, not sure if you can buy just the muffler. My buddy at work put a dynamax super turbo catback on his 5 liter Bronco and it sounds like stock exhaust.

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
Yeah, I would say a gibson, dynomax super turbo, or maybe some type of 3 chamber muffler with a little piece of pipe atleast, an open muffler is going to be fairly loud and resonate in the cab a lot no matter what muffler basically, trust me I had it for a while and it got old after a while.

·
Beaver-ologist
240 Posts
I have the setup you're talking about, the 40 series with the donkey dick. The setup is FAR from quiet. My exhaust is so loud that it's cancelling out my woofers when they hit. :mad: I can set off car alarms 3 floors above me in parking garages!!! :clap:

·
Registered
839 Posts
a man working at the local truck shop told me that turndowns off the muffler arent good because the exhaust gas goes down, then rises up toward your axle, which heats it up and causes seals and bearings to go bad alot quicker. he said to do a turndown after the axle. is this true. seems like it makes sense to me, and what else could i do so i dont have a tailpipe showing.

·
!! TALK NOW !!
4,910 Posts
Something my dad told me today. Something to think about. I was about to put a turn down right after the muffler. But said, If I were at shows and started up the truck in some grass when aired out. Could dry out the grass, start fire, by by truck. would take some time for that to happen, but just to keep that in the back of your head.

But. I have a 40 series delta. Not sure what the big diff. But I will let you know the difference between the tail pipe and a turn out infront of the tire.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i don't think that the exhaust gases make your bearings and stuff go out sooner because the truck is usually moving.. and the axle should be completly sealed anyways for water and the elements.. my .02 cents

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
the axle is sealed, except for the vent, which is to allow the gases that are inside the pumpkin to leave when they heat up and expand. look at where stock tailpipes point - at the ground. can you burn your hand on exhaust gases? not on any conventional car i know. thus, youre not going to start a fire.

·
Still 2 High
1,515 Posts
yeah i have a Dynomax ST and am ready for something new... the only time it sounds good is at low rpms or reving it up til about 2000 otherwise its way too quiet :doh:

·
Registered
393 Posts
I want quiet but a i want like a little sound so im going with the 80 series and a pipe to back of truck and then turndown so it doesnt show..

·
NTBSSHEVN
9,248 Posts
drps10 said:
Something my dad told me today. Something to think about. I was about to put a turn down right after the muffler. But said, If I were at shows and started up the truck in some grass when aired out. Could dry out the grass, start fire, by by truck. would take some time for that to happen, but just to keep that in the back of your head.

But. I have a 40 series delta. Not sure what the big diff. But I will let you know the difference between the tail pipe and a turn out infront of the tire.
Yea I am always scared of that. Laying out in the grass somewhere after driving it and the exhaust is laying on the grass. I really hate it cause I know that it could catch on fire. Especially the cat. since it gets so hot.

·
!! TALK NOW !!
4,910 Posts
Ya... I really don't like how low the cat is... but I will just watch out.. I would rather worry about sparks than grass catching my truck on fire.... I just bent mine out the side infront of the tire

my 2 cents

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
NCHEVYHEVN3 said:
Yea I am always scared of that. Laying out in the grass somewhere after driving it and the exhaust is laying on the grass. I really hate it cause I know that it could catch on fire. Especially the cat. since it gets so hot.
Maybe don't "lay it out" on the grass then after driving it ?

·
NTBSSHEVN
9,248 Posts
MINTSICK said:
Maybe don't "lay it out" on the grass then after driving it ?
What about at carshows when there is no concrete to lay out on. U expect me not to lay it out? Thats like telling me not to breath.

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
NCHEVYHEVN3 said:
What about at carshows when there is no concrete to lay out on. U expect me not to lay it out? Thats like telling me not to breath.
Well yes I do expect you not to lay it out, not a big deal to me since I am not into the whole bagged ride thing, but if its that much of a concern maybe trailer it to the car shows?!?!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts