S-10 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
tits, clits or bong hits
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My radiator was smashed by my fan when my watter pump broke. But it only got the center of it.
well I had a radiator gave to me but one of the side tanks has a very very small pin hole leak. my qustaion is How much does it cost to have the tanks swaped over? and Is this somthing that I could do my self?
And it is even worth the trouble to swap them or should I get some stop leak for it or even JB weld?
thanks

·
Registered
88 Posts
whatever you do, no stop leak, that stuff is the devil, sure it may plug up the hole, but what else is it plugging up in the process, you can have the tank fixed at a radiator shop, they will braze it or solder it, not quite sure which they use. shouldnt cost too much, as for the jb weld, not sure how that would work

·
Registered
15 Posts
IMHO If the radiator has a pin hole in it, the rest of the radiator may be weak as well. If you need to get by for a short time I have had great luck with Alumaseal. Works great on leaks and have never had a problem with plugging anything else. (alum. powder) sold at most auto parts stores. Although i agree the best is to replace or have the radiator repaired, I have used this product in emergencys for 25 years with great results. If your soldering the hole, make sure you clean the surface of paint ect with a good acid and a mild scocthbrite pad ( pad to lightly scuff the surface ) repeat the acid (applied with acid brush), apply heat only to the area to be fixed and only long enough to get a solder seal. You can use wet rags to keep heat from transfering to the surounding areas. Use care as to not allow the rags to dry out and start a fire. You may want to practice on the trashed one.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Plastic tanks? They can be swapped by most shops. If it has a pinhole and not a crack or split, JB Weld would probably fix it. New radiators are not expensive for the S series and are all brass construction.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I could fix it for you because i work in a radiator shop, but i live in ohio and you live in north carolina. he was right also a radiator should not be too expensive and if you get it from a company called Modine it has a lifetime warranty!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts