S-10 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking at KMC Venoms 18X8.5 with 235/40/R18s for tires. Now I know I will be resting on fenders all aired out (I'm on them a little with the current 15X7 with 205/60/R15s) as these wheels will be roughly .7" larger in diameter than my stock wheels. I am more worried about the rims clearing the tie rod ends, sway bar links or any other part of the suspension. I've been told to go with 4.5" backspacing on both front and rear. If anyone has any thoughts or comments that would be helpful.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anybody?? Little help here... Thanks

·
Project ZO6 S-10
588 Posts
I have a 2/3 drop and 18X8 with 245 40 tires up front with 4.5 backspacing and it fits pretty good, it rubs on the swaybar when I turn the wheel all the way so 4.5 should be the best, maybe 4.
For the rear I have 18X9.5 with 5.5 inch backspacing and 275 35 tires. the rear tires rub on the bed side of the wheel well when I corner REALLY hard, but they never rub during normal driving. the 5.5 backspacing is fine but I think 5 would have been better.

4.5 sounds fine for your 8.5 wheels, but if you havn't purchased them yet I would go with wider rear wheel, it looks better.

·
Project ZO6 S-10
588 Posts
How much was it for the Bags installed?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I shelled out close to 3 grand for the airbags installed. About 1700 of that was parts: 2-2500 bags, 2-2600 bags, front bag brackets, parallel 4-link w/panhard bar, 3" Beltec drop shocks, two Thomas compressors, 6 gallon air tank, 2-Fast valves, air-line, fittings, etc.

I ordered most of the parts myself. The airline, fittings, etc were picked up by the guys doing the work and was included in the labor charge. So labor was around 1300 which included installation of all bags, lines, comps, tank, notch and the rest of the framework, wiring the compressors and valves,etc...

Thanks fof the info on the wheels too.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
98 SS ON NOS said:
18x8.5 with 235 40 18 lol to big you wont lay frame at all

to be safe you need a 4.75 bs if you get that size and a 225 35 18 will do the trick

tony
Couple questions....

It would lay frame on 18x8.5 with 235 40 18 if my fenders were cut out/notched right?

Or we go this way, considering my truck is a daily driver (roughly 500 miles per week) and I do know the roads I drive on well, would the smaller tires pose a problem. I suppose I will need to be extra careful about potholes either way though. I am planning on using my stock wheels for winter driving too.

And is the 4.75 backspacing and 225 35 18 tires for both front and rear or can I do more tire for the rear?
Thanks for your help and forgive all my questions.. this is my first time buying new rims and I want to make sure I get the right stuff.

·
Rhasta the Lobstah
283 Posts
Grant said:
4.5 sounds fine for your 8.5 wheels, but if you havn't purchased them yet I would go with wider rear wheel, it looks better.
Yes, they may look better, but remember guys, wider the tire=more friction=slower times if dragging. But if you aren't interested in speed or power, go ahead with the wider tire. If you had 300hp under the hood I could see getting a real wide tire in the back, but otherwise I think its wretched excess. Thats just my opinion though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
98 SS ON NOS said:
18x8.5 with 235 40 18 lol to big you wont lay frame at all

to be safe you need a 4.75 bs if you get that size and a 225 35 18 will do the trick

tony
can you give me some advice. i want to get some rims and want to know if they fit. will an 18"x8.5 with a 5.5 back space fit my truck lowered 3" in the fron 4" in the rear ?

·
Rhasta the Lobstah
283 Posts
crazy_tonguez said:
can you give me some advice. i want to get some rims and want to know if they fit. will an 18"x8.5 with a 5.5 back space fit my truck lowered 3" in the fron 4" in the rear ?
Man, I'd love to help ya out, but I'm really not sure...although a friend of mine who owns a tire store tells me that he doesn't really believe in spacers.
I would give a tire store a call somewhere, or a respected wheel dealer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts