S-10 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
5.7L Vortec V8
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well today me and my dad went to test fit just the motor without any accessories or tranny. Its a 1998 5.7 Vortec. Using 2.8L mounts I got from NAPA and conversion mounts I got through hedman in summit I think the label on the box is TD... Well.. There are two spots you can put the bolt through on the mounts. To put it in the top one (make the motor lower) you have to grind off part of the other whole area or the coversion mount will hit the frame before you can put the bolt through. So if we do that it will sit a little lower. Went to put the heman headers on.. Pass side hits firewall so it would need alittle sectioning or a severe beating But with it lower it woudn't be AS bad. So we can get around that. FORGET about the driverside side header.. can't get that on after the block is in and it was tight trying to put it on before hand.

My dad thinks we need to lay it in place and move the block in and then bolt it on.. Sound like something you guys have done?

But worst of all with the block pushed all the way back on those mounts and the core and rad set in place I have about 1.25" inches of clearance before the pulley that the clutch fan was on.. (the little stud that sticks out) In JTR shoudn't I be able to fit a flex a lite 210 in their with a shround ( Summit says you need 2.25) I thought I had this all planned out. I need some feedback

Thanks in Advance

·
Registered
161 Posts
been thru this before, but made our own brackets, on the headers, the passangers side will have to have one of the following done, a, sectioned b beat it in, on driver's side, not sure what problems you are refering to but remember that your steering shaft will have to be removed , headers installed, then steering shaft be put back , running thru the headers. I've done this swap before, doing it again right now, . since you said you are using a vortec, are you running a carb or fuel injection? just done a 97 vortec for a 82 fullsize, stock bottom end only thing done to heads were had the bosses cut down for bigger springs, edelbrock rpm air gap intake Holley 650 double pumper, isky 510 lift cam, 3000 stall.... it'll scream like a raped ape, making roughly 400-420 hp. good luck with yours!

·
Registered
507 Posts
It's a good idea to test fit with the trans in place too.
I would suggest mounting the engine as low as possible.
I never had problems getting the headers on either. I know the pass side floor was beat quite a bit, drivers side header would come right out after removing the steering rod.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts