S-10 Forum banner

Fit Bigger Tires on Stock Rims

28K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Ol' Yaller 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone,

Ok, here's the deal...im a poor college student, and im gunna be looking at tires in the spring. I currently drive a 1996 Chevy S10 at stock height (never figured out how to give the body a 4" lift cheaply) with stock mag rims, the kind that come on most 94-97 Chevy s10 LS's...

The truck is rated for P205/75r15's, but they look scrawney and sh*tty as hell. Does anyone know how high i could go on the truck without them rubbing? I thought about P235/75/r15's, but could i go P245's? i want to at least give the truck a better look without those scrawny tires.

oh, something else...how much difference is there in the speedometer when bigger tires are put on? i was told its barely anything, but i dunno.

Oh, and one other thing..
I HATE LOWERING...LIFT IT UP! lol

Thanks everyone!

#2 · (Edited)
I think you will be fine with 235's or 245's, I am pretty sure those wheels are 15x7's, I have seen 265's on that size wheel before so the other 2 sizes will be no problem if you ask me. Also, if you are not altering the sidewall height (in this case 75mm so you aren't) then you won't have any difference in the speedo, width does not affect the speedometer, only height. Good luck.

For that cheap lift, get a bunch of hockey pucks together, drill holes through sets of 3, and there ya go! Can't speak about how safe that is, but it sure as hell is cheap!

#3 ·
i had 255's on my 88 s-10 blazer. it rubbed slightly even after we cut a piece of the sidewall out. so i think a 235/245 will be fine depending on how afressive the pattern is. cause mine were very agressive with thick knuckles on the sidewalls

#5 ·
Ok, i talked to a tire guy today (small tire shop, i know the guy)

I have a tire size thats P205/75/r15...i was complaining how the tires i have look like hell cuz they're so thin...he suggested i go to P225/70/r15's ....it gives you more footprint, and looks a hell of alot better...plus the way it balances out, its basically the same size tire

Could someone identify what the names |P205|, |75| and |r15| mean? i know r15 is the rim, but is 75 the width? or the height? thanks everyone.

Hey, i also saw today a LT245/75/r15 tire...its HUGE! THink it would fit?

#8 ·
Ok, I am assuming you have a 2wd because you have 205's stock.

When I bought my truck it had 225-75-15's all around on stock wheels. At full lock they touch the frame up front, but barely. That's the only rub I get. I then put on 235-75-15's with 15x7's that had 3" of backspacing. The 3/4" extra width let me clear the frame, but then the tires rubbed the back of the wheel well when turning. A little hammer work (on the inner fender) took care of 95% of it. I would say with stock wheels and no lift you can run 225's up front with minimal rub, and 235's if you don't turn all the way to the stops.

As for the speedo being off, it is, but not a whole lot. I just got a GPS for X-mas, and with my 235-75-15 BFG AT's on the rear my speedo is off about 6%. So when it says 55 pmh I'm really doing a little over 58 mph.

#9 ·
What size would be the best way to get a really good Mud Tire (not an all season, one with really agressive tread) and have that size? Would P225's be good? i Thought about going to P255/60/r15's with agressive tread...would that work without rubbing?

#10 · (Edited)
255-60-15's will fit, but good luck finding any mud terrain or all terrain in that size. If you want a mudder you'll probably end up with a 225-75 or a 235-70. If you are willing to hammer the inner fender well a little then go with 235-75's, you're off-road tire choice will be 100 times greater than with the other two sizes (most mudders start with 235-75's as their smallest size).

Why do you want mudders on a stock 2wd? You'd be better with an All Terrain. You'll never utilize the mudders potential off-road, and you'll suffer the noise, wear, gas milage, and poor handling of the mudder on the road.

#11 ·
Two places to look at tires are
www.tirerack.com
www.tires.com
When looking up tires it is best to search by size, if you search by vehicle, it will limit you to factory replacement sizes. You can also find the specs for the different tires on those sites, width, overall height, load cap., revolutions per mile, etc.
I have a 255/65/15 mounted now, In my opinion that is about as wide as you would want to go on a 15x7 wheel.

#14 ·
Tire sizes:

First number is tread width. For example, 205 is roughly 8 inches wide.
Second number is aspect ratio. For example, 75 means the height of the tire is 75% of the width, or in this case 75% of 8 inches, which is 6 inches.
Third number is the rim.

So, a 205/75/15 tire is 8 inches wide, 15+6+6 = 27 inches diameter, mounted on a 15" rim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.