S-10 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How's it going? Someone on another board told me about this site since I just purchased a 1989 s10 long bed with the 2.8 in it. I wanted to ask you how many miles I can expect out this engine? It currently has 131,000 on it and runs solid although the exhaust fumes are a little heavy. It has been maintained well so that's not a problem. Any possible remedy for the exhaust smell? I'll probably change the plugs, filters etc just for the heck of it, anything to look out for other than that?

Thanks!

·
Registered
152 Posts
watch the anti-freeze

The 2.8 can go a long ways, be on the lookout for unexplained antifreeze leaks. W/ the alum intake & cast heads, the intake gasket becomes weak. I lost the coolant into the oil @ 173K and I did not r&r the bottom end (antifreeze beats up the bearings) and mine then developed a rod knock so I went w/ a 3.4 crate motor from GM performance.

Just keep changing the oil & filter every 3000 and stay watchful for a coolant loss that you can't find/explain. BTW the collant makes the oil look like dirty caramel.:bash:

·
Registered
12,726 Posts
My 2.8 lasted 212k then developed a hole in a piston. They are good motors they last, but power is something that is not in ubundance on them.

But you can upgrade when it dies there are a ton of options to go to. I put a 4.3 in place of my 2.8 and its been great so far!

Welcome to the forum and enjoy yourself.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts