S-10 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased my first S10 and I have a few questions if someone could help me. I've read all the cruise control comments and if I understand right my 1999 base model 2.2 l S10 5 speed I need to replace the entire wiring harness? does anyone have anything good or bad to say about the aftermarket cruise control package you buy from online has anyone done this? I'm disabled I was a police officer for almost 20 years and I was severely injured in the line of duty. As such cruise control would make my life a little less painful. Thanks Sgt

·
B4U Task Force Admin
27,036 Posts
Moved to Electrical/Lighting.

Welcome..Thanks for your service.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Welcome, and thank you for your service! I have a 1999 2.2L 5speed as well - love my truck - practical, gets the job done and great gas mileage. Am I correct in reading you don't have cruise control in your truck, and you are trying to install a cruise control system either retro-fit a stock unit or an aftermarket?
Ken

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've attached the schematics for the 1999 cruise control circuits, and the bottom of this contains the circuit operation steps. Electrically, there's a new multifunction switch on the column, switches for the brake and clutch pedals, and the control module itself. The below description does identify "an electrical harness" (I bolded and underlined it in the list) that may be the unique harness (a "sub harness") you have been discovering in your research, however there does not seem to be a difference to the basic harness installed in your vehicle requiring it to be replaced.

Here's the system description:
  • The cruise control system maintains a desired vehicle speed under normal driving conditions.
  • The cruise control system also has the capability to perform the following functions:
    • Coast
    • Resume speed
    • Accelerate
    • Increase speed in 1.6 km/h (1 mph) increments
    • Decrease speed in 1.6 km/h (1 mph) increments
  • The main components of the cruise control system include the following components:
    • The multifunction switch
    • The cruise control module
    • The Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS)
    • Release switches
    • An electrical harness
    • The cruise control module which contains the following components:
      • An electronic controller - monitors vehicle speed and operates the electric stepper motor
      • An electric stepper motor - moves a ribbon in order to maintain the desired cruise speed. The ribbon is connected by a cable to the throttle.
  • The controller operates in response to the control switches located on the multifunction switch.
  • Brake and clutch release switches are used in order to disengage the cruise control. When either are depressed, the cruise control system is electrically disengaged, and the throttle returns to the idle position.
  • Cruise Control Circuit Operation:
    • When the ignition switch is in the RUN position, CKT 41 (BRN) applies battery voltage to the cruise control module.
    • When the cruise control module is moved to the ON position, CKT 397 (GRY) supplies battery voltage to the cruise control module.
    • When the brake pedal or clutch is not depressed, CKT 379 (BRN/WHT) supplies voltage to the cruise control module.
    • When the brake pedal is depressed, CKT 1320 (LT BLU) supplies voltage to the cruise control module and CKT 379 (BRN/WHT) does not carry voltage.
    • When the clutch pedal is depressed, CKT 379 (BRN/WHT) does not carry voltage.
    • When the cruise control switch is moved to the RESUME/ACCEL position, CKT 87 (GRY/BLK) supplies voltage to the cruise control module. When the SET/COAST switch is depressed, CKT 84 (DK BLU) supplies voltage to the cruise control module.
    • CKT 817 (DK GRN/WHT) provides vehicle speed signal inputs to the cruise control module. CKT 451 (BLK/WHT) provides ground for the cruise control module.

Attachments

·
B4U Task Force Admin
27,036 Posts
Recently purchased my first S10 and I have a few questions if someone could help me. I've read all the cruise control comments and if I understand right my 1999 base model 2.2 l S10 5 speed I need to replace the entire wiring harness? does anyone have anything good or bad to say about the aftermarket cruise control package you buy from online has anyone done this? I'm disabled I was a police officer for almost 20 years and I was severely injured in the line of duty. As such cruise control would make my life a little less painful. Thanks Sgt
If you go the factory route, I have the cruise box that goes on the firewall from my '96. If it's compatible, you can have it for the shipping.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Moved to Electrical/Lighting.

Welcome..Thanks for your service.
Hey I appreciate it and your most welcome. Are you a Coasties?i
Welcome, and thank you for your service! I have a 1999 2.2L 5speed as well - love my truck - practical, gets the job done and great gas mileage. Am I correct in reading you don't have cruise control in your truck, and you are trying to install a cruise control system either retro-fit a stock unit or an aftermarket?
Ken
Your welcome sir. Well I have all the parts. Cc module,switch every thing. I however do not have the plug on the harness by the brake booster for the CC module. Rather than replacing the entire harness I'm going to install the after market CC. It's my first S10 and I've been Plesently surprised with it!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you and you're most welcome. Let me ask you this since I don't have the plug for the cruise control module in my harness could I wire it into the harness itself I have some of the same color-coded wires right there at the brake booster but I'm missing some of the other wires that are of the same color. I'm a very handy mechanic and very good at electrical work but I've not installed one of these before. I've got the module the switch and the part that goes on the clutch I don't know if I've got the speed sensor but it's not something I could not get. Have you used one of the aftermarket cruise controls or heard of anyone who has are they okay or would I be better trying to put the original equipment back in which I always thinks better built anyway. I've been pleasantly surprised with how good this little truck is. I had a FedEx 18 wheeler run over me in my 1996 3/4 ton Chevy Cheyenne.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
27,036 Posts
I did serve in the Coast Guard...had a blast. I'll tag @oldeerslayer and he should pop in with some wiring info. I assume it was the FedEx CTV that ended your LE career? I hope it wasn't Express...I did 34 years with them.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not sure what part of FedEx it was I just remember looking at that gigantic gray cattle Pusher on the front of that Freightliner thinking to myself Jesus these things are as big as they look going down the highway. LOL that's not the accident that crippled me. I was a SWAT team narcotics Urban search and rescue canine handler I did a lot of stuff in law enforcement and as a result I was shot three times and stabbed once in my career. The worst thing that happened to me was a 16-year-old girl in a Nissan though. That's what got me never would have happened had her mama taught her to drive properly she wasn't on her phone she wasn't messing with the radio she was just inexperienced and should have been driving. I'm a former Marine so a member of the US Navy but the men's department. Lol I watched in horror as a Coast Guard Admiral with brass down his sleeve walk across the anacostia parking lot one time and must have passed 10 squibs without a salute! Not a single one snapped to. Well by God when he got to us we snapped to. He thanked us. It was shameful.
Thank you for your service!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've attached the schematics for the 1999 cruise control circuits, and the bottom of this contains the circuit operation steps. Electrically, there's a new multifunction switch on the column, switches for the brake and clutch pedals, and the control module itself. The below description does identify "an electrical harness" (I bolded and underlined it in the list) that may be the unique harness (a "sub harness") you have been discovering in your research, however there does not seem to be a difference to the basic harness installed in your vehicle requiring it to be replaced.

Here's the system description:
  • The cruise control system maintains a desired vehicle speed under normal driving conditions.
  • The cruise control system also has the capability to perform the following functions:
    • Coast
    • Resume speed
    • Accelerate
    • Increase speed in 1.6 km/h (1 mph) increments
    • Decrease speed in 1.6 km/h (1 mph) increments
  • The main components of the cruise control system include the following components:
    • The multifunction switch
    • The cruise control module
    • The Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS)
    • Release switches
    • An electrical harness
    • The cruise control modulewhich contains the following components:
      • An electronic controller - monitors vehicle speed and operates the electric stepper motor
      • An electric stepper motor - moves a ribbon in order to maintain the desired cruise speed. The ribbon is connected by a cable to the throttle.
  • The controller operates in response to the control switches located on the multifunction switch.
  • Brake and clutch release switches are used in order to disengage the cruise control. When either are depressed, the cruise control system is electrically disengaged, and the throttle returns to the idle position.

• Cruise Control Circuit Operation:
    • When the ignition switch is in the RUN position, CKT 41 (BRN) applies battery voltage to the cruise control module.
    • When the cruise control module is moved to the ON position, CKT 397 (GRY) supplies battery voltage to the cruise control module.
    • When the brake pedal or clutch is not depressed, CKT 379 (BRN/WHT) supplies voltage to the cruise control module.
    • When the brake pedal is depressed, CKT 1320 (LT BLU) supplies voltage to the cruise control module and CKT 379 (BRN/WHT) does not carry voltage.
    • When the clutch pedal is depressed, CKT 379 (BRN/WHT) does not carry voltage.
    • When the cruise control switch is moved to the RESUME/ACCEL position, CKT 87 (GRY/BLK) supplies voltage to the cruise control module. When the SET/COAST switch is depressed, CKT 84 (DK BLU) supplies voltage to the cruise control module.
    • CKT 817 (DK GRN/WHT) provides vehicle speed signal inputs to the cruise control module. CKT 451 (BLK/WHT) provides ground for the cruise control module.
Thank you for the schematics I've decided what I'm going to do is order one of the aftermarket cruise controls from M&R he said that I can use my factory switch that I'm going to put in. I'm having a airbag light that's on constantly and I know it has something to do with the number six fuse and the brown wire I've got a check through it and see what's going on I noticed yesterday when I was under the dash that theclutch wiring switch for the clutch sensor to keep you from cranking the car in gear has been cut off and that probably has something to do with it so I'm going to have to figure all that out period has anyone ever put new dash on their car and how would I go about finding who makes a good dash manufacturer

·
94 4x4,01 Blazer
2001 Blazer 4dr 4wd LT
1,355 Posts
hey Sgt- before you slice and dice- recheck your harness- most of the factory plugs are there even if not used. They tended to fold them back and put the anti-chaff on to hold them out of the way.Was cheaper to make the harnesses all to one spec then different for the options.You might luck out and either find the plug or where someone before you diked it of. Drive on Marine- not time to visit Chester yet.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
27,036 Posts
I'm not sure what part of FedEx it was I just remember looking at that gigantic gray cattle Pusher on the front of that Freightliner thinking to myself Jesus these things are as big as they look going down the highway. LOL that's not the accident that crippled me. I was a SWAT team narcotics Urban search and rescue canine handler I did a lot of stuff in law enforcement and as a result I was shot three times and stabbed once in my career. The worst thing that happened to me was a 16-year-old girl in a Nissan though. That's what got me never would have happened had her mama taught her to drive properly she wasn't on her phone she wasn't messing with the radio she was just inexperienced and should have been driving. I'm a former Marine so a member of the US Navy but the men's department. Lol I watched in horror as a Coast Guard Admiral with brass down his sleeve walk across the anacostia parking lot one time and must have passed 10 squibs without a salute! Not a single one snapped to. Well by God when he got to us we snapped to. He thanked us. It was shameful.
Thank you for your service!!
Once a Marine....always a Marine. You may have heard the story of Douglas Munro. It's said that when a Marine/s pass a USCG Officer, they salute and say Douglas Munro. Link to story.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hey Sgt- before you slice and dice- recheck your harness- most of the factory plugs are there even if not used. They tended to fold them back and put the anti-chaff on to hold them out of the way.Was cheaper to make the harnesses all to one spec then different for the options.You might luck out and either find the plug or where someone before you diked it of. Drive on Marine- not time to visit Chester yet.
0-4 no joy on the plug. Oprah. Semper Fi Teufelhunde

·
94 4x4,01 Blazer
2001 Blazer 4dr 4wd LT
1,355 Posts
thanks for that sgt- but i can not claim that title- did 4 as a wingnut and then 4 as a airborne toolbox for the other ground pounders.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts