S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Tired of being slow
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, this is my first post on this forum. My dad bought a '98 S10 LS 2.2 5 spd new in the end of '97, and I started driving it in May of 2001 (I'll be 17 next month). I've gotten used to the truck, and I think it is a lot of fun to drive. I love sliding it around curves and such, the truck is great at it. The one thing it isn't great at is power.

I need more power.

A few months back I replaced the drop in air filter with a K&N. I drilled 1" holes in the airbox a few days ago after realizing how horrible the intake piping is. In the next couple days I am going to fabricate an intake myself out of Schedule 20 PVC and put a K&N cone on the end as some others on this site have done, and see how it works.

But my big question is this: What are the best bang for the buck upgrades for this truck? I know it isn't going to make a ton of power without a turbo kit or nitrous, but I'm only going to be driving this until the end of the year, so I'd like something cheap and effective.

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks everybody, and sorry for the lengthy post.

:guitar:

·
Registered
217 Posts
a descent after market intake system, a good cat back exhaust system is a good place to start dont buy into the hype of so called hp gains from ignition parts ....a couple of cheap things...install a colder running thermo and get rid of the clutch fan and install an electric for a few extra hp it will also help the rpms come up quicker, u may alos want to check out www.sportruckspecialties.com and see what they can do for ya

·
Registered
214 Posts
The factory exhaust manifold and downpipe have got to be the worst flowing piece of crap factory system I've ever seen. If I were doing only one mod I'd get a header. After that I'd recommend a good high flow induction system. Most people opt for teh intake first due to ease of install.

-Chris

·
Registered
77 Posts
For the money you can't beat nitrous. Venom makes a custom fit nitrous kit for $499.79 for 2.2 S-10s

P

·
0 Posts
Put a 350 in the biotch LOL
Go cat-back exhaust or remove the cat,intake,header,eletric fan, chip, and other stuff

·
Tired of being slow
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Unfortunately my clutch just died, so that's gonna be my number one priority right now. I have another post in the troubleshooting section decribing my problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts