S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate to start a new thread when all the info is pry right in front of me. but there is soooooo much reading and searching involved and when you have dial up its a pain in the ass. so forgive me if im repeating previous questions. If i can ill try to get some pics going of my project.

THE VICTIM: 1985 Chevy S10 pickup, short box, standard cab, 2.8 V6, 4 speed (looking for 5 speed)

STATUS: Bare ass naked. just the frame. sand blasted and primed and notch is in, working on getting the rear bagged all the parts are there. I have the funds for the front, just need to get parts. Then i need to save and buy the stuff to plumb it all.

FUTURE GOAL: Bagged, body dropped to the rocker(no pinch welds layin hard as it can) on 20 inch wheels.

Ok now with everyone's help i need to get the frame down perfect with 20s first before we get into the body drop part.

WHAT I KNOW: Ok my rear suspension is all good to go, it will lay 20s no prob. its jason's new 5link, bad ass for anyone who is interested, ITS AS BEEFY AS IT GETS! now for the front: im gonna get ART upper and lower control arms, belltech 2" drop spindles, jason's new bag cups for the ART control arms, shock relocator kit from jason, and airlift 2B6 bags(recommended by jason(again)) i will have to notch the frame for the tie rods, and trim the spring pockets for the air bags, i will also need to modify the shock mounts on the ART control arms for 20s(according to jason. but someone could still clear this up for me, or he will next time i call him).

WHAT I NEED TO KNOW:

If I body drop to rocker, are the 20" wheels and tires gonna sit above the fender keeping me from closing my hood?

Will i be able to leave my clutch master cylinder where it is since im planning on getting the ART uppers too?

Will i need to move my brake booster or get a smaller one?

Will i need to lose the heater blower box or modify it in order to have the 20s?

What is the exact size wheels and tires i need to look for?

With the ART control arms will i be with out the ball joint prob, or will i still need to modifiy it or buy Kotic kustoms ball joints.

Any other suggestions are welcome. Let this thread turn into a good source for everyone. thanks to all who can help.

-Brad

·
BUY MY TRUCK PARTS!
1,071 Posts
We've done a body drop to the rocker on an 88 s10...here's the answers as far as what was done when we did it:

We used a 255/35/20 tire (20 inch wheel obviously) and we were able to close the hood no problem.

We converted ours to an auto, so the clutch master was tossed out.

We were able to keep the brake booster in, no modifications

We removed heat/AC but you CAN keep it with modification.

I said it above, they fit perfect, but it also depends on how wide your wheel is...

With the ART arms you shouldnt have any problems with ball joints binding, or so i'm told...we didnt use them we used the stock arms.

hope this helps a little, we did things a little differently than what you are looking to do (like the 5spd, and the control arms) but you can get a general idea of what you're looking forward to at least ;)

·
Draggin Body Member...
1,923 Posts
Actually I think its better if people start new threads because that makes the body dropping tech section bigger, and I hope that this section will get as big as the bagging it section...

I really cant help you much with the 20's, but I think your going to run into steering coulmn problems... which I have encountered on a 24" wheel tire combo... I wish I knew what excatly to do about it but I dont..

·
BUY MY TRUCK PARTS!
1,071 Posts
We actually swapped out for a tilt-steering column from a 91 blazer, and it slipped right in no problems at all. We did have some problems with the stock 85 steering column (non-tilt) but it wasn't all that bad, it was more the height than anything because there was so little room left to move around in the seat.

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
delusionalkustomz said:
We actually swapped out for a tilt-steering column from a 91 blazer, and it slipped right in no problems at all. We did have some problems with the stock 85 steering column (non-tilt) but it wasn't all that bad, it was more the height than anything because there was so little room left to move around in the seat.
well im sorry to say ryan..that truck was the biggest hack job i have ever seen in my life..I mean ya its bdropped on 20s...but i wouldnt of taken it if it was given to me..

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
haha, ok back on topic guys. im going to need a tilt column anyway, cuz im gonna be lookin for a set of buckets out of a lincoln town car, somethin really comfy, and i dont want my legs bein wedged between the steering column and the seat. and from what i have researched i have never heard of any steering column probs other then that. i think for this thread to succeed we need more replys then these. i have some pictures scanned ill try to get them up soon. nothin special, just pics of my progress, and of my notch.

·
Draggin Body Member...
1,923 Posts
I wasnt talking about legroom, I was talkign about the steering knuckle hitting on the control arm.... I dont think tilt is gonna help that whatsoever... I had to cut my steering knuckle off and replace it with a smaller one (which still hits) and I plan on notching the control arm some more...

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
alright dude, i looked at ur gallery, and you have a pic of that prob right? i see what ur talkin about. ya i can see tilt would have nothing to do with that. tubular uppers would pry take care of that problem by the looks of it.

·
Draggin Body Member...
1,923 Posts
just attach the image, if its too big send it to me [email protected]

Later on tonight I plan on notching out my control arm, so I'll post pics, maybe it will help you...

L

·
0 Posts
I dont see how you can keep the blower box with the bd and 20s, with 18s you could keep it but I dont think it can be done with the 20s and the BD unless you moved it under the dash or something.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've seen somewhere a guy cut a tub into the blower box. This is the first time i have heard anything about the steering interfearing with the control arm. who else ran into this prob, what size wheels and tires did you say you were runnin Low_1?

L

·
0 Posts
Low 1 is running like 225/50/15s, there only like 24 inches, yeah the blower box can be modified a little, but it can only be made so small. Ive seen trucks laying body with 18s with it and one truck with 19s still with the blower box, but never one on 20s laying body with it. Not saying you cant do it, just saying I dont think anybody has a bd with 20s with it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
alrighty, tossin the blower box, will clean up the firewall alot anyway. diablo, way to be man. that was my original plan, i figured i was leaning more towards cruiser, so i decided to stray from the 350 idea. but im glad someone is doing it. That should be pretty tight when its all said and done, good luck.

L

·
0 Posts
yeah im only running 18/20 combo so when I BD I can keep AC cuz here in FL I need it, But yeah shave the firewall while you are doing the BD and it wil be pImP sHiZzLe

·
Awesome User
10,440 Posts
Bradman123 said:
alrighty, tossin the blower box, will clean up the firewall alot anyway. diablo, way to be man. that was my original plan, i figured i was leaning more towards cruiser, so i decided to stray from the 350 idea. but im glad someone is doing it. That should be pretty tight when its all said and done, good luck.

Thanks, hope it comes out nice when I'm done.. u 2

·
Draggin Body Member...
1,923 Posts
the blower box can be moved up and bottom can be cut, I'm sure you could manage to squeeze it in with 20's but it would take a shitload of fabbing and crap, I plan on getting a Vintage air system for mine so I can still have heat, who needs a/c I like rolling with the windows down and my shirt off... I got some round tube tonight and I'm gonna use that to notch the control arm where the knuckle hits, I pray that it works because I wanna drive with the rocker 1/4" off the ground in town, lol why else did I body drop it??? But I'll have some pics of what I did tomorrow, that is in case you need them....

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ya go for it, post um. if i run into the same prob then ill know what to do, but i dont think i will cuz im going to get tubular uppers. but it will help others who want to keep the stockers.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts