S-10 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing a tired 2.8 liter v6 with a 4.3. I have done some research on it but most all i can find is v8 swap info, and they say for the v8 you have to do some firewall mods, widening the tunnel, so the tranny can fit right. Since the 4.3 has the same bellhousing as the SBC i assume you need to widen the tunnel for it as well but i just want to know for sure.

·
Registered
619 Posts
no, the 4.3 will drop right in after you swap motor mounts.... GM made everything you need to do this, hence the 4.3 motor in the s10s.........just find a donor and take all you need

youll need a 4.3 tranny which you know if you already know that the 2.8 isn't the same bell housing as the sbc

if your using a 700r4 the tranny cross member will be in the right place and every thing should bolt up no prob.

i put a 4.3 in my and made if TBI, was an 84.... it took me two days working completly by myself to pull and swap the new motor in, including the wiring...wasn't bad at all..

the motor mounts are the worst, you have to drop the lower control arms to get to the nuts....you dont need to remove the springs or anything just the lower control arm pivot bolts and reach up in.... no fun by yourself.

i had to swap out the condensor, evaporator, rad, rad overflow tank, motor mounts, and the y pipe........ from 2.8 to 4.3....... they were all different

finding a donor truck is the way to go

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how different are the motor mounts between the 2.8 and 4.3, the frame mounts actually, cause i can just buy custom mounts and use those, the 2.8 frame mounts are only 2 years old

1 - 3 of 3 Posts