S-10 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Suicide Hood Guru
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey yall, i did a test fit on the tranny today and found something odd... with everything bolted up the tranny sits a little cock-eyed, like 10 degrees counterclockwise if your looking at the back of the motor. Is this normal or is there a different bellhousing i should be using... the tranny came out of an 89 Firechicken with a 305... i know the flywheel wont work, dont know if there are different bellhousings for 305's and 350's...

Now for the driveshaft... with the T350 with 6"tailhousing, my driveshaft was about a couple inches too short... but with this T-5, its about 2" too long... is there another driveshaft say from a swb or another blazer with a different tranny config that would work better or am i gonna have too get it shortened??? My driveshaft measures 46 3/4" from u-joint to u-joint...

Thanks yall..
Nite

·
Registered
18 Posts
The F body cars had the 5 speed rotated for clearance against the transmission tunnel, but I don't remember if it was the bellhousing or the transmission case that's different. I think it's the bellhousing.

You might want to call around to some of the local driveshaft shops and see how much they'd want to shorten the long shaft. It might be less than the cost of another used driveshaft. You can have them put in new u-joints at the same time. One less thing to worry about later.

·
Suicide Hood Guru
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it is the bellhousing that is setting it off to the side... will it work fine or should i get another bellhousing that will set the tranny straight up... i dont wanna cut the hole in the floor if the shifter isnt gonna sit right...

As for the driveshaft, I have a friend that runs a junk yard in town so i can get anything i want free, so another driveshaft isnt gonna cost me anything... just need to know what will fit with this tranny's length...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts