S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought a 5.3l from a 2004 silverado, but i didn't have the tranny but i see a deal for one, it come frome a 2000 Firebird 4l60e. i want to know if that tranny will fit with my computer. i don't know what was the tranny in the truck who i take the engine.

·
Registered
365 Posts
the 5.3 uses the same 4l60e, except the bellhousing is a little different i think you will just not be able to use the top bolt on the bellhousing IIRC, shouldnt be a problem though

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok dou you know what bellhousing i need ?

·
LS1 in the making
191 Posts
you also need to swap over the black shift linkage thing that comes on the side of truck trans' the s10 one works so if you have your old one laying around like I did use it.

15,113 Posts
you may also need to swap out the tailshaft housing as well, The F-body tailshaft has 3 bosses cast into the aluminum used for bolts on the F-bodies (2 on the bottom, 1 on the top). The bottom rear one will hit the stock S10 crossmember, and the top one limits room in the trans tunnel.

you can probably get away with cutting them off, but I just opted to change it out since I had one laying around the shop.

·
LS1 in the making
191 Posts
you may also need to swap out the tailshaft housing as well, The F-body tailshaft has 3 bosses cast into the aluminum used for bolts on the F-bodies (2 on the bottom, 1 on the top). The bottom rear one will hit the stock S10 crossmember, and the top one limits room in the trans tunnel.

you can probably get away with cutting them off, but I just opted to change it out since I had one laying around the shop.
weird, mine bolted up just fine without cutting. I just used the s10 mount and it even lined up with the cross member.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts