S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Love my 2nd Dime
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up this Audiobahn aw1051x 10 inch sub from my friend. He had 2 of them and did not use both so he gave me a great deal. I decided to try and fit it into the reg cab. It is a deap and heavy sub, almost 5 inches deep. I built a box using the advice on these forum. Thanks Tempe, the corner clamp and adhesive worked like a charm. I will post my dimensions later on.

I decided to ignore the sony brand haters and go with a Sony XM-D400P5. Found good prices on ebay. I went with a streetwires 4 guage wiring kit. It came with an 80 amp fuse that sony recommends for this amp. I also ordered speaker wire and additional parts from the site that Tempe recommeded. Sorry I forgot the site, I cant find the Tempe install threads!

I ran the power cable throught the hole that is there for the antenna cable and modified the grommet to take the additional wire. I hooked up 2 ground wires. One from the battery to the frame and one from the seat post to the amp. I tested DC volt readings from the battery and both grounds, everything is solid.

After reading the recommendation from Tempe and other forums about adding a fuse to the remote wire, I thought that it cant hurt. I also wanted to install a switch for quick shut off of the amp. You can see how it turned out from the pics. The switch is a nice touch.

Attachments

·
Love my 2nd Dime
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The sub and amp combo sound better than I expected. I was trying to add a little extra bass to make things sound better but damn this thing bumps hard.

Attachments

·
Love my 2nd Dime
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is a pic of the sub. I wish I could display the back of this thing, it is pretty trick.

Attachments

·
Love my 2nd Dime
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh the site that had great deals on parts was http://www.knukonceptz.com/

Also I only needed 2 sheets of 2X4 3/4 inch MDF. My home depot sells smaller sheets like this and I saved some money because I had drawn out my box build plans in advance.

·
Computer Geek
6,326 Posts
do u have any other pics of the headunit. i was trying to flush mount my head unit but wasn't succesful. how did u do it? please show other pics.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Yeah, where can I pick up a mounting kit like yours?

I'd like to be able to put all my knobs and such on the little empty bar like that.

Very nice install man, I still think that you have the cleanest aux input install. Mine is just a wire coming out from the ashtray.

·
Love my 2nd Dime
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Computer Geek
6,326 Posts
SMNW2003 said:
Nice work

He has a 03 s10 which has a different sized opening than yours.

2dxtreme your stuck with what you got and paintrush a flush mounted one is the best they sell for us

that sux but oh well. i still like it the way it is. i changed the knobs on the amp and now i can go up to 35 but the smaller amp cuts out that high? do u know why? i will take pics of the settings i have right now when i take the amps out for final install of the board.

·
1st Gen Owner Again lol
473 Posts
I like the switch on the dash kit, I have that same one and will more then likely be doing that to mine...looks good man, bet it sounds even better

·
Love my 2nd Dime
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks ph33rzie, to be honest, I burnt up 2 of the switches due to the kind of solder I was using. The switch is mostly plastic so I switched to the low keat kind and used a heat sink to help save the switch!!!

Now I wonder what else can I wire to a switch?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a 12 inch audiobahn sub that is about 8 inches deep. The weight is 35 pounds. I put it in a reg cab. Even tho I am short, my knees are still in my cheast.

·
Registered Slacker
3,439 Posts
lol mines isnt that bad...my SE's are 6" deep..i made a box that gives 1.1ft^3 each sub...too big..but sounds good..my legs hurt after long drives..but not that often cuz i only live on an island..haha not even 50 miles wide lol

·
Picture goes here \/
673 Posts
2dxtreme said:
do u have any other pics of the headunit. i was trying to flush mount my head unit but wasn't succesful. how did u do it? please show other pics.

its possible, theres still a little more room to go back

1 - 20 of 26 Posts