S-10 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Never-Ending Project
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a short somewhere in my IGN/GAUGE circuit. I took it back to the shop that did my rebuild, we assumed they snagged something dropping the motor back in. After 3 days they replaced my TCC solenoid (it was blowing the fuse when it tried to lock up) and said they replaced a shorted wire going through the firewall. I thought it was fixed, then about 4 miles down the road I had to make a panic stop and the fuse blew right as I started moving after the stop. This is really frustrating me. The mechanic said he was using a voltmeter with a circuit breaker to save fuses, but I can't find one of these and they're probably expensive. Off the top of my head that circuit has the AC timing, rear defog timer, TCC, rear ABS signal, SES/seatbelt/brake warning lights maybe a couple more. It also sounds the headlight chime constantly while they are on, motor on or off. Very annoying. So, does anyone have suggestions to help me take out this electrical gremlin?

·
Never-Ending Project
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Another wrench to throw in the works. Each time I replace the fuse, it doesn't blow until I'm moving. I replaced it twice today after that panic stop. Both times it blew at parking lot speeds, but not while stopped. I went through the harness again, trying to find a burned/melted/stripped wire, but no luck. We had to unhook my MSD6 at the shop since it wouldn't turn over. Turns out they yanked on the harness and pulled apart a crimp. I reconnected the wire and hooked it back up, runs fine now. I haven't driven it since then, but I couldn't get the fuse to blow while it was stopped running, or off with ignition on.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Might have got a wire caught in between the engine and tranny, ive seen that several times, also one of the wires might be rubbed through that are on top of the tranny.

·
Never-Ending Project
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For anyone interested, I found the short. I used a NAPA short-circuit finder (AWESOME little tool, part number 700-1084 if anyone wants to find one) that plugs into the fuse outlet and has a self-resetting 10 amp breaker so you can locate the short with the included tool. I didn't need to trace the circuit and watch needle deflection, I could hear it zapping. It turned out to be the wires going to the front differential was rubbing on the driver's side motor mount. It wore through the insulation and the hot wire was grounding on the mount and blowing the fuse. Cut and spliced in new wire, and the problem is gone.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Good job! Finding those shorts are a pain. Have had a few<probably why I don't have hair left .ROFL

1 - 5 of 5 Posts