S-10 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 226 Posts

·
Rolnlow
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well about 6 months ago I purchased a 2001 5.3 with complete harness, computer and lots of other things off craigslist. I will be installing this in my 1988 Chevy S-10 Extanded Cab Bagged on 20s. I have been finding out alof of this that havnt been covered on the forums yet and hope to post them in the thread. Its a 5.3 with LS1 intake and fuel rail runningthe truck injectors with adaptors for the injectors to work in the LS1 fuel rail/intake. I got a
4L60e 2wd Auto Transmission. Purchased 10" dual elec. fans, 4.3 first gen radiator, LS3 oil pan, pickup tube, gasket and dipstick. LS3 water pump, LS3 tensioner with truck pulley, Relocated tje idler pulley. I am sure there are more things. I will be updating this alot now for the pics.

·
Rolnlow
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Finally my First 5.3 Swap

here is my truck

motor after I received it

transmission as I got it, befor clean up

somre of the parts, some listed above are order but I havent gotten them yet

current motor pics:

motor removed:

·
Rolnlow
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
everything is going pretty well, I used your pictures when I cut the bracket and the idler pulley worked out prefect. Ishould have the water pump next week and the tensior should be here this week. so far the only issue was the truck injectors into the LS1 intake/fuel rail but I order the adaptors today.
I am sure a few more issue will arrive once I start in on the harness and what not, like trying to get all factory gauges to work and use the existing column shifter.
Thanks again for all your help, I sure we will be talking again.

·
Good Bye SonomaST
7,149 Posts
Nice project.
If that fan is for the primary cooling fan on the radiator.....it won't be enough.
Even two of these, without a shroud, won't keep it cool.
Check the sticky above.
Just wanna make sure the OP noticed what was said here, not trying to be an ass just honestly helping. I agree with phil, unless you build a shroud 2 of these won't keep it cool. Either a shroud or like a Thunderbird fan that has a shroud built onto it, either way you need a shroud lol. My 98 dakota had a 16inch fan on it for about 3 days and it wouldn't keep it cool on a 85 degree day, I sold it for almost what i had in it and hit the junkyard and grabbed a Thunderbird fan and trimmed the mounting tabs and trimmed almost 1/2 an inch off the shroud to make it thin enough to comfortably clear the waterpump, so far this summer it hasn't kicked into high speed yet(FAL controller), and I've been using the shit outta of the A/C but, the summer heat is just now rolling in haha.

·
Rolnlow
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just wanna make sure the OP noticed what was said here, not trying to be an ass just honestly helping. I agree with phil, unless you build a shroud 2 of these won't keep it cool. Either a shroud or like a Thunderbird fan that has a shroud built onto it, either way you need a shroud lol. My 98 dakota had a 16inch fan on it for about 3 days and it wouldn't keep it cool on a 85 degree day, I sold it for almost what i had in it and hit the junkyard and grabbed a Thunderbird fan and trimmed the mounting tabs and trimmed almost 1/2 an inch off the shroud to make it thin enough to comfortably clear the waterpump, so far this summer it hasn't kicked into high speed yet(FAL controller), and I've been using the shit outta of the A/C but, the summer heat is just now rolling in haha.
yes i am going to build something custom probably just like everything else on my truck. and im not hooking up the a/c right away, or even at all.
but my buddy is running dual 9" fans no shround and no problems

·
Registered
28 Posts
looks good. I just picked up a stock 4th gen camaro fan setup for my truck. Havent had any problem yet. It sat in the sun running for about a hour today in 106* heat and never tried to get hot.

1 - 20 of 226 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.