S-10 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we have a sticky, but i figured I would do a write up on my build.

It pretty bought everything with at Home Depot

Materials List

2 packages of M3 fiberglass cloth

3 cans of Bondo Fiberglass Resin

1 yard of fleece cloth I bought mine right at the fabric counter at walmart

Hot Glue gun

2 wood dowels

Some 3/4 MDF wood for speaker ring how much depends on speaker size

Pencil and compass

jigsaw

speaker wire and one of the block ports

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This part depends on your preference

I wanted to mimic a stock feel so i got another couple yards of cloth that matches my interior and 2 cans of spray adhesive.

Also the sub that you pick is important because the bigger you go the farther out it will stick out, the more it sticks out it becomes top heavy

For this reason i went with the Rockford Fosgate R2D2-10 because of its low profile design

I wanted to mount the amp to the floor of the truck under the box so i went with this amp Clarion XC2110 after it was delivered i noticed that its a marine amp but works just fine in a truck .

Attachments

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
STEP 1

You can do this right in the truck but this was my first time using fiberglass so I went to a pull your own and ripped one of the jump seat interior panels out. They only charged like $4 and even if i knew fiberglass well, i would do it this way again.

This is because of the seat mounting to the floor there is no bottom to the interior panel .

So i used scrap cardboard and a lot of duck tape to form the bottom half of the mold. Once you have this done cover the whole inside the that blue m3 painting tape

This is a picture of my final mold

Attachments

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
STEP 2

I would recommend doing this outside,

I cut the fiberglass sheets 4x4 squares and some random longer strips, you want to be able to over lap the strips but remember once you mix the resin your fighting the clock because i think i was only a 5 to 10 min window.

I started at the inside bottom and worked my way up and out. Note i went about 2.5 inches past on the outside of the panel later on you will trim this but it helps the fiberglass to follow the shape of the trim

Once my first layer was done i let it dry over night, then repeated

Here is a pic of the finished 2 layers, you can see I have already marked where I will trim it, and at this point you can

Attachments

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
STEP3

This will depend on your speaker choice, the paper work with it should say how much volume the box needs.
I used some online sub box volume app and basically your finding the length for your wood dowels holding your speaker ring

I used wood screws to hold the dowels to the ring and just some wood glue to hold the rings to the box

All and all it should look something like this (don't mind mu excessive amount of glue lol)

Attachments

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
STEP 4

Your going to want to lay the fleece down over top a few times and just get an idea where your problem areas will be. You want to avoid having any wrinkles or kinks.

Once you feel comfortable begin hot gluing the fleece to your fiberglass shell. Best way i found was put the hot glue around the ring and then using a friends help pull the fleece tight and bring it down onto the ring and tack with hot glue each end of the box. Now you can take your time and hot glue the fleece all the way around.

Trim off extra fleece of edges and the hole in the speaker ring

Now drench the fleece in the fiberglass resin i had some left over fiber glass cloth so i threw a fine layer on top as well. Also i wrapped a layer around the edges

Let dry over night.

I carpeted mine so i didn't clean it up a ton. But i did hit it with with some 60 grit and then some 80 grit
and test fitted the sub

Attachments

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FINAL STEPS

So to Carpet it i just basically repeated the fleece step but used spray adhesive on the whole thing.

Drill or cut a hole to mount the port for the speaker wires to connect.

I got some peal and seal from Home Depot its like $12 for a roll and works like dynomat and cover the bare metal behind the jump seat interior trim and on the floor.

Even my box was a little top heavy so i ran a screw through the top of the box in the trim

Attachments

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Next time I'm back home I have to pull the box out to adjust the amp so I'll take some more pics

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is my finished interior i just got the leather wrapped blazer steering wheel on the other day- and she's about done

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.