S-10 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
tech n9ne listenin member
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i bought a 95 S10 with 126k 4.3 auto

The truck warms up to the middle of the gauge (210?) and stays there. but yet i have no heat. I have flushed the heater core twice and there was no goop both times and water flowed free. I went to change the thermostat but one of the bolts started turning funny when I tried to loosen it up(that feeling that the heads gona snap off) so I stopped and didnt change the t stat. I read that it was common for them to break. What is a good way to prevent them from breaking, and how do I get it out if it does snap off?
Also, could a bad radiator cap prevent me from having heat?

Another problem is, I lowered the back by removing leafs and 4 inch blocks. A couple weeks later (I dont know if its related to the lowering) my red "Brake" light comes on the dash and it feels like the emergency brake is partially stuck on when i take off from a stop. Is there a way to adjust the e brake so it can not engage no matter what? Since I dont need it at all.

Last major problem. the last two times I drove the truck, it will not shift into overdrive on the freeway. It will be at like 3k at 70 mph and the more gas I give it it still wont shift.

Any ideas on any of these? lol. I have used the search many times but havent gotten that many straight forward answers. thanks

·
Registered
804 Posts
Flushing the core is fine but you have to be sure the hoses are clear going back to the engine. I have seen engines with blockage just after the hose leaves the engine or goes into it. Acts like a plug.

·
LS1 powa!
2,216 Posts
do both hoses going to the heater core get hot? If they both do, I would say check the blend doors or under the dash.

·
tech n9ne listenin member
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No i dont believe they do. I also started the engine with the small hose off and after a few mins, coolant started coming out of the water pump, but not real fast.. also I have coolant disappearing on me. would a bad LIM gasket cause me to have no heat? my oil looks fine though

·
Useless posting member
10,828 Posts
When my truck hits 210, it's because I am low on antifreeze so I don't have heat. I would try changing that t-stat, it may not be opening.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If the e brake is stuck on, you should notice either the left rear or the right rear tire or maybe both on fire after driving for a bit. Fell the rim after a decent run they should be warm but not on fire.

·
It's "Neanderthal"
5,411 Posts
Jack up the back of the truck, the wheels should turn freely by hand.
You could remove the e-brake cables from the actuator arm in the drum brake.
Coolant will circulate thru the heater core even with a stuck thermostat. Check the vacuum line to the intake manifold that operates the heater/defrost blend door for cracks.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Sometimes when I hit the brakes hard it feels like (brake assembly ?) shifts or something moves in assembly & you can also feel it in the pedal, as it will move about 1/2 inch down further. Not in normal usage, but only when I have to hit them hard...loose calipers?, springs? :yikes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.