S-10 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple questions about using vortec heads on a 1st gen block.... 1st since I will be using a standard hyd cam, will the stock push rods for the 1st gen motor work? I know they are diff length on the 96 vortec motors. 2nd. I know the studs are pressed in has anyone had any troubles running them to around 6500 rpm. around .480 lift????

·
BADDEST TRUCK IN DFW
2,089 Posts
measure your pushrod length after, get screw in studs for anything "performance"

·
LSx and V8 Mod
4,204 Posts
Yup, there isnt any "use xxx length pushrods" You actually have to measure what correct for your engine.

·
i dont have feelings
519 Posts
when you put vortec heads on an older block, there is a hole that must be drilled in the surface of the head. only one head needs to be drilled - for the passenger side. youll see it if you put a head gasket on the head, its at the front..drill it 5/16"

also, to run an older intake you can drill holes in the heads to adapt to the different bolt pattern, but i wouldnt suggest it. theres a plate you can get to line the holes up. youre better off to run an intake that bolts right up...i think edelbrock makes one that will bolt up and has a 4bbl on top.

·
11 second station wagon
2,921 Posts
AaronZimmerman said:
I have a couple questions about using vortec heads on a 1st gen block.... 1st since I will be using a standard hyd cam, will the stock push rods for the 1st gen motor work? I know they are diff length on the 96 vortec motors. 2nd. I know the studs are pressed in has anyone had any troubles running them to around 6500 rpm. around .480 lift????
rule of thumb .......yep you hould be able to get by with stock early style pushrods. but when you add a .050 bigger cam to it what happens to your valve geometry? 80% of the time you will be fine with stock. 480 lift ......single springs..........you'll be fine with pressed in studs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts