S-10 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i have been wondering about this for a while now, my stock oil pressure gauge(even tho its just a dummy gauge) shows pretty low when im driving around at about 15-25 psi, i was reading around and so far ive got it should be closer to 40?

i went through the motor while running, i dont have any valves tapping, no knocking and i dont burn oil or anything, the motor does have 160k miles i just assume its a bad sending unit. is this something thats worth messing with?

i know low oil pressure is not something to be played with so if im missing anything to check please let me know

the motor is a 4.3L 4x4 also

i also need to some suspension work sadly, BOTH my torsion bar mounts are bad.... and my cv boot left side popped off a few days ago..... great story of how i rednecked fixed it with 5/16 bolt band clamps :rotf:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Whenever you are in doubt about oil pressure you can unscrew the sending unit and install a gauge in the port start the engine and read the gauge. If you have 30 psi at idle and 40 with a raised idle you have nothing to worry about. That will also tell you the factory gauge is at fault if changing the sender doesn't correct the reading.

·
nice guys finish last
204 Posts
I've heard that a good rule of thumb for oil pressure is 10-15 psi per 1000 rpm. You say its 15-25 psi when driving around? What rpm are you running at when driving?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've heard that a good rule of thumb for oil pressure is 10-15 psi per 1000 rpm. You say its 15-25 psi when driving around? What rpm are you running at when driving?
i could tell you for sure if i had a tachometer, i know when im in the higher rpm ranges the oil never goes above 25 even at WOT most times it pegs right at 15 and stays there

that's what leads me to believe i have a bad sending unit or gauge

honestly if it turns out to be a bad gauge im just gonna create a custom gauge cluster i hate the stock gauges anyway, that and ill throw in a tachometer while i am at it plus my spedo is way off as well not that it cant be fixed....::haha:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
turns out my dash printed circuit board is bad :( had to pull it all apart today gonna get a replacment in the mail sometime next week :rant:

·
Boozebag
10,092 Posts
At least you figured out the problem. Beats a replacement engine... :p
BTW, all engines have an oil pressure releif valve. It is pre set at the factory to bleed off excessive OP. This will keep your engine from building OP to 100 PSI...
Average OP for cruising speed is 35 to 50 PSI.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
At least you figured out the problem. Beats a replacement engine... :p
BTW, all engines have an oil pressure releif valve. It is pre set at the factory to bleed off excessive OP. This will keep your engine from building OP to 100 PSI...
Average OP for cruising speed is 35 to 50 PSI.
very good to know thank you, my part was shipped today so it should be here by the 25th and that problem is solved :)

i did get bored today and started painting the truck :rotf:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
new dash is in! now my oil pressure is 20 to 25 at idle and 50 to 80 at cruise speed little high but thats fine

i also finished painting the truck looks good now :0

couple new problems have arised now my passenger valve cover gasket is leaking.... as well as the back of my tbi(my fuel pressure regulator) luckly enough i have a spare tbi rebuild kit laying around

also taking the egr out of the equation with new plugs,wires,rotor and cap!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i also grabbed a radiator with a oil cooler in it going to hook it up probably tom as well.

also where is the blower motor for the HVAC, passenger side right?

and do these trucks have cabin filters?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts