S-10 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked this truck up. The truck accelerates at a excessively slow rate, almost like it’s in second gear or maybe third? The shifts are smooth and the engine sounds steady (no sputtering). Any ideas? I know it has something todo with the transmission, that’s what the symptoms seem to be, but it doesn’t feel broken or like it’s missing a gear. It’s a 1995 6 cylinder with 4wd

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just picked this truck up. The truck accelerates at a excessively slow rate, almost like it’s in second gear or maybe third? The shifts are smooth and the engine sounds steady (no sputtering). Any ideas? I know it has something todo with the transmission, that’s what the symptoms seem to be, but it doesn’t feel broken or like it’s missing a gear. It’s a 1995 6 cylinder with 4wd
Keep in mind this is from a complete stop. Forgot to put that in there

·
Randy
785 Posts
Limp mode is anything that causes no power to pin "E". limp mode is 3rd gear only with a manual 2nd gear. Blown fuse can cause Limp mode.
I'm confused:
1) does the transmission shift? Watch the tach
1A) does it go up then back down with light throttle at approx. 15-20, then again @ 30-40 indicating there is an actual shift?
2)does it only climb indicating there is no actual shift 2B) does it only have 2nd/3rd?

Limp mode is anything that causes no power to pin "E". limp mode is 3rd gear only with a manual 2nd gear. Blown fuse can cause Limp mode.

Reactions: Gen210

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I'm confused:
1) does the transmission shift? Watch the tach
1A) does it go up then back down with light throttle at approx. 15-20, then again @ 30-40 indicating there is an actual shift?
2)does it only climb indicating there is no actual shift 2B) does it only have 2nd/3rd?

Okay, so i have a automatic transmission to answer some. And now from what i can tell, when i put it in drive/overdrive it will start in 3rd gear. I just replaced the 1-2 solenoid thinking that was the issue, no luck. It’s better but still not right. I can manually put it in 1st or 2nd and then proceed to put it in drive. Which raises the question, what exactly is going on!? I did check the fuse box on the driver side (i specified bc idk if there’s another one). I did have a blown ignition fuse, replaced that, wasn’t the problem either.

·
Been there Done it
14,403 Posts
Unplug the transmission electrical connector and check to see if you have 12V at pin E when key is on.
If you have 12V to the connector then something else is causing the trans to go into limp mode.
Which would likely require a trans shop to diagnose. Find a good local independent shop.
Avoid the chains like AAmco. They'll tell you it needs a transmission and probably not even fix the issue so when you get it back $3000 later it will still be in limp mode at which point they'll tell you they don't do electrical diagnosis and to take it to a dealer.
A local shop whose reputation matters will fix the problem.
Automotive lighting Font Circle Audio equipment Screenshot

Reactions: Gen210

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unplug the transmission electrical connector and check to see if you have 12V at pin E when key is on.
If you have 12V to the connector then something else is causing the trans to go into limp mode.
Which would likely require a trans shop to diagnose. Find a good local independent shop.
Avoid the chains like AAmco. They'll tell you it needs a transmission and probably not even fix the issue so when you get it back $3000 later it will still be in limp mode at which point they'll tell you they don't do electrical diagnosis and to take it to a dealer.
A local shop whose reputation matters will fix the problem.
View attachment 362612
Do you happen to know what pin E’s voltage should read? Also is there a way to reset the computer to make it stop giving 12 volts? I believe the ignition fuse could’ve caused it to go into limp mode or even the 1-2 solenoid. Should i get it code read and clear it? Or is there something else that i have to do?

·
Been there Done it
14,403 Posts
Post #6
It's an ignition power feed to the trans. 12 VOLTS. Actually 13.8 when it's running. Why would you want to lower it?
Since it's a friggin 95 good luck finding a scanner or a shop that can read the codes.

·
Randy
785 Posts
I never check pin "E" voltage. I have had several vehicles that show 12V, but not supply enough amperage for the circuit. I've taken an old 9005 bulb and pigtail. rigged it for a 20pin case connector to plug into the harness and an aligator clip to ground. If it will light the bulb you have sufficient power to the solenoids.
All 4L60E's have a shift solenoid pattern and a PSM pattern. most shops can look at those patterns and tell if either pattern is OFF spec.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts