S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Beer time!
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone;

I have been giving my truck the spa treatment this weekend and decided to fix everything that can be fixed and do an oil change and blah blah blah...

Well, I got to my buddies work and figured I would buy a can of r134A for the hell of it just to test it and see if it needed it. sure enough the [email protected] thing was completely empty, we filled it up, and after we got a little bit of refrigerant in the clutch finally kicked on, it was kind of odd because when it did kick on it looked like it kicked out some refrigerant out the a$$ end of the compressor. Low and behold I had freezing cold air...for all of 12 hours.... firstly, I need to find the leak, so I assume I would use that dye crap to find the leak and once found replace the part that is leaking. My question is, since the system has no refrigerant can/should I do the work myself or get a certified tech to do it. I've been taught to believe that A/C systems are very fragile and shouldn't be messed with.

opinions?

·
goin broke but n style
12,942 Posts
the blow off valve on the back of the comp may be bad. it is rare, but not uncommom.

A/c work is not that hard, but it does that some knowledge on how it works. I would try and find the leak yourself and replace that part and than have a guy with exp and the right tools charge it for you. The most time consuming part is pulling a vac and than charging it.

·
Beer time!
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the blow off valve on the back of the comp may be bad. it is rare, but not uncommom.

A/c work is not that hard, but it does that some knowledge on how it works. I would try and find the leak yourself and replace that part and than have a guy with exp and the right tools charge it for you. The most time consuming part is pulling a vac and than charging it.
Ok, cool, I'll run the dye test first because its obvious that I have a HUGE leak and it shouldnt be to hard to find.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
i'm no where near an expert on a/c, but i haven't taken either one of my trucks to get someone to charge the a/c. i have changed compressors on both trucks. make sure you don't let any trash get into your lines or compressor. all i did was buy r-134 and charge it up with a cheap hose and gauge. when i switched compressors, i used around the amount listed on the blower. before i changed one of my leaking compressors i charged it to about 35psi and then checked the air. if it wasn't cold i would use a long screwdriver to let some air out the low pressure line, then add some more r-134 until it was cold.i know not the proper way, but hey it worked and all i spent was about $20 on refrigerant

·
goin broke but n style
12,942 Posts
you really need to change the reciver/dryer when you find the leak. the desacant bag inside it absorbs moisture from the sytem so it is prob trashed. for an a/c sytemd to work properly without damage it need to be vacuumed to 29 hg of vac for atleast 10 minutes longer if opened for long

·
AcrophobiA
8,481 Posts
you really need to change the reciver/dryer when you find the leak. the desacant bag inside it absorbs moisture from the sytem so it is prob trashed. for an a/c sytemd to work properly without damage it need to be vacuumed to 29 hg of vac for atleast 10 minutes longer if opened for long

glad to see someone who knows

once you break into a system you need to replace the accumalator or reciever/dryer...and along with it the orifice tube...at the shop i worked at, if a brand new accumalator was left open for more than 3 hours it was considered contaminated and thrown away...if you dont replace it, the dessicant bag will burst causing all the little beads inside to flow through your system and most likely lock the compressor up or cause a foreign constriction

so yes you can find your own leaks and change out parts...but please take it to a shop to have the accumalator and orifice tube changed and the system evacuated and recharged

·
Beer time!
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
AWESOME!!! Would have never known... Excellent man!

layinlow88 said:
glad to see someone who knows

once you break into a system you need to replace the accumalator or reciever/dryer...and along with it the orifice tube...at the shop i worked at, if a brand new accumalator was left open for more than 3 hours it was considered contaminated and thrown away...if you dont replace it, the dessicant bag will burst causing all the little beads inside to flow through your system and most likely lock the compressor up or cause a foreign constriction

so yes you can find your own leaks and change out parts...but please take it to a shop to have the accumalator and orifice tube changed and the system evacuated and rechargedp
Another awesome post!!! So about how much are we talking to have the tube and accumulator replaced at a shop?

·
goin broke but n style
12,942 Posts
you can actuatly replace those yourself also. just let the shop know that you replaced thos components. also if you replace them than go straight to the shop. do not waste time so you do not contaminate those new parts.

I would charge around 1.5 hrs shop rate to replace those, not hard. shops usually charge 1.5-2.0 hrs to perf a evac and recharge of your a/c system.

·
Registered
311 Posts
The relief valve on the compressor blew because you over filled it. Now the leak is most likely the relief valve, they rarely seal right after blowing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts