S-10 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Dub Pimpin' Xtreme Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok.....my fan is installed....now I have a question....the way I had it wired the first time....I think I had the wires mixed up...i switched the wires and the high came on when the ac was turned on....but now the ac will not blow cold air...slammed98gmc warned me about this...but how can I fix it?!!?any help would be appreciated.....thanks!

·
Registered
508 Posts
If you hooked it up wrong you probably blew the clutch fuse. Ive got a wire tapped into the clutch pos. wire and Im using that to trigger a relay thats wired into the batt. pos. lead.

·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
VegasGMC said:
If you hooked it up wrong you probably blew the clutch fuse. Ive got a wire tapped into the clutch pos. wire and Im using that to trigger a relay thats wired into the batt. pos. lead.
you know where the clutch fuse is located?!!?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Mine is with the other fuses under the dash. If you have a late model truck it might be in a different place. Check your owners manual. It will have a fuse block diagram.

·
General L33
1,947 Posts
you have two different harnesses going into the compressor, one is a pressure switch, the other is the clutch. You don't want to run it off the clutch because it will cut on and off while the ac is on. This will kill your fan.

Did you use a relay? If you hook the fan straight to the compressor, it will blow the fuse.

·
General L33
1,947 Posts
yup, that's the compressor line. remove that splice, look on the back of the compressor, should be another wire harness plugged in there. unplug the harness, have someone turn the key to ign. in your truck, then turn the ac on and off, take a voltage probe, find the hot wire and tap into it, then plug the harness back in.

you are using a relay, right?

·
Registered
508 Posts
In the summer I set the thermostat to about 160 so the fan wont cycle on and off with the a/c clutch. If you're using the Taurus fan you need to go to a 50a fuse. I had a 30a and it melted the first day.
I notice a difference with the extra pusher fan but you probably only need that if it gets really hot where you live and the extra draw really strains the stock alternator.

·
General L33
1,947 Posts
yeah, the taurus's have a 50 amp fuse set for the fan. I went to an auto parts store and got a fuse, think it's for imports, it has a clear window and you can see a copper fuse link inside of it, it has posts w/ female spade connectors, I just put male spades on the wires and shoved them up into the fuse. Or you can get a 50 amp breaker from a stereo shop, but that's high dollar compared to a $1 fuse.

·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well......i got everything working fine now......and the 40amp fuse seems to be holding in pretty good for the high.....for the low I am using the 30amp......everything is working fine now......thanks for all your help.....if anyone needs assistance....I will be more than glad in helping out on their fan installation/wiring.....thanks!

·
Resident Mechanic
365 Posts
Found another electric fan that works with 96+ shrouds, I have them on my truck they are twin electrics from a v6 dynasty keepin my engine temp about 160-170 dependin on if i have the a/c on or not, I wired them to a interior switch to turn them on and off, give me more of a stomp than i thought it would with not havin the big ass plastic one on :) i will post some pics soon

·
Registered
508 Posts
How do you get the shroud off late model trucks with the a/c lines running over it? Do you have to remove the hoses? I cant believe they would design it that way.

·
Resident Mechanic
365 Posts
lol no u just have to hold them out of ur way i used one of those stretchy things with a hook on each one and pulled them back with that so it wold hold them while i worked on it

·
General L33
1,947 Posts
Fast98SS350 said:
lol no u just have to hold them out of ur way i used one of those stretchy things with a hook on each one and pulled them back with that so it wold hold them while i worked on it
lmao!!!!!! bungee cords. Thanks for the sig line!!

I just pulled mine up gently and pulled the shroud out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts