S-10 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that the weather is colder (around 0°C or 32F) where I live I noticed that my engine doesn't seem to get to warm, at least the gauge says about 70°C (160F) .

My engine cooling fan is always on which I think is the problem because I believe is only supposed to come on around 195°F. So I'm thinking it's either the fan clutch or the ECT sensor.

Is there a quick way to tell if the fan clutch is done? (My haynes manual says if it spins easily or is very hard to spin the clutch is gone and I can turn the fan by hand relatively easily, but it won't spin after I let go.)

or should I pull the sensor and check it's resistance at different temps to see if it's still working?

Thanks

·
I'm poor
1,665 Posts
Sounds like your thermosat is stuck open allowing the fluid to keep circulating and cooling the engine instead of warming up. The thermosat is supposed to be closed when the fluid temp is lower than the thermostat rating then it opens when the fluid gets hot.

·
H-D motorsports
654 Posts
Mike1234 said:

My engine cooling fan is always on which I think is the problem because I believe is only supposed to come on around 195°F. So I'm thinking it's either the fan clutch or the ECT sensor.

Unless you are running an electric fan, the fan should always spin.
If the clutch fan stops spinning you have a big problem and the fan needs replacing.

I would change the thermostat first, if that does not change anything it may be the coolant temp sensor

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why is there a clutch on the fan if it is always spinning?

The Haynes manual says "... fluid in the clutch redistributes itself and then goes into normal disengaged mode, and will also make a noticeable change in sound when the vehicle warms up and the fan engages."

and for a test to see if it is working "... note the temperature when the fan clutch engages. The fan should engage between 150 and 195 degrees F."

This leads me to believe that the fan is not always spinning and should not be spinning as the truck is warming up.

I'm going to replace the thermostat on the weekend and see if that helps any.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts