S-10 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can I tell if a fan clutch is failing? I know that if it free spins and stays spinning after turning the car off its failed but how about if its just not engaging correctly. Its for a non AC blazer.

Also its I believe 3 blades on the fan and I am just wondering if I could use the 5 blade fan for it? I replaced the water pump because it had blown a gasket and now my thermostat goes to 210 and then drops and falls but immediately starts to rise again never did this before the water pump got changed. I guess it could be a sticking thermostat but just wondering if the fan clutch might have something to do with it. It hasn't over heats it never gets over 210 on the gauge.

·
Registered Hoosier
4,451 Posts
Sound like you have air trapped in the system.

·
Been there Done it
7,061 Posts
Surprised you didn't replace the thermostat "while you were in there". Could be contributing to the problem. Get a good ACDelco OEM replacement one.
If you add coolant until it is up to the thermostat when replacing it you'll likely also get rid of any trapped air.
Things like year, model, and engine make it easier to intelligently reply to your question.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry its in my signature and it was not orignally in this forum it was under 1st gen blazer and was moved here

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
when its warmed up,shut the engine off,fold a piece of cardboard ,making something like a 2x2 a couple ft long.
Have someone start the truck while you hold the fan blade with cardboard.
KEEP HANDS CLEAR.
it should spin and eat the cardboard up.
Be careful of shroud and radiator.

·
Been there Done it
7,061 Posts
sorry its in my signature and it was not orignally in this forum it was under 1st gen blazer and was moved here
Sorry, I didn't look at your signature because this new format makes us open them to see them. After you pointed it out, I see it is visible but faded until I click on it. My bad.:(

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry, I didn't look at your signature because this new format makes us open them to see them. After you pointed it out, I see it is visible but faded until I click on it. My bad.:(
no problem man. Its been awhile since i posted here and didnt realize the signature did that I will try to remember to put it on the description in the future. When I first made the post i put it in 1st gen blazers so didnt really think there would be much difference between them.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok its officially the clutch because it came loose last night and wobbles I am looking for a new one but since its been so cold here I am sure it will be fine to run it without the fan and clutch. But, when i do replace it I will replace the thermostat too. Is there any major benefit of running the hotter 195 over the 180 or 165 besides heater temps?

1991 S-10 Blazer 4 door 4X4 4.3 V6 automatic

·
94 4x4,01 Blazer
803 Posts
engine designed for the oem- 195= the 165 will mess with the computer- will see a COLD engine and make your mix richer- +bad milage

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also just wondering were the original non ac vehicles only equipped with a 3 fin fan? If i need to replace can i use the standard 5 fin will it just cause more drag and maybe keep the engine cooler?

Also anyone have a recommendation on a fan clutch? My local auto parts stores don't even stock the one for non ac cars just wondering if i have to order one anyways whats the recommendations?

·
time to get cereal
2,277 Posts
Either fan should work alright, I think the smaller one is more of a cost savings thing.

·
94 4x4,01 Blazer
803 Posts
Rock Auto carries the clutch.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
look on Amazon for a Delco
I wouldnt run it with a wobbling clutch,could come loose and destroy everything.
Are you sure it didnt just come unscrewed?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts