S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's a few pics of the factory rollpan I got from the GM dealer. (GM P/N 15958890)
I was surprised that it didn't even come in a box or wrapped in paper or something to protect it. To say the least it was pretty ugly in it's raw form. I had to sand all the oxidation off, plus it was covered with a greasy residue. After sanding and cleaning it up, it looked allot better. The pic is before and after sanding and prepping for primer.

Attachments

·
xtreme nutcase
487 Posts
hey...another bc boy. welcome to the forums.

thats odd. you'd expect that it would come in some kinda packaging. or at least with primer.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Phuck dude...you were lucky...

When I got mine there was a big dent (probably cuz it wasnt wrapped.) Also the edges weren't straight...kinda wavy:mad:
I can't complain though, I got it at a discount through FTC
Well, I'm at your stage right now...it's in black primer waiting to be test fitted tomorrow.:thumbup:

Good luck with yours,
jay

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So far I have 2 coats of paint on. Looks pretty good now. I let the paint set up well over night in a room I use in my basement with the heat turned up to about 80F. Today I will wet sand it with 400 grit before the final coat of paint and a couple coats of clear coat. I've already test fitted it (before painting) and it fit like a glove. All the holes lined up...amazing. Allot better then the after market pan I already have on my truck. The aftermarket one (urethane) had to be trimmed and cut to fit and it didn't have any way to mount it on the lower corners. I had to make up some brackets to hold the lower corners on. This factory one has predrilled tabs on the lower corners which fit onto the tabs on the quarter panels of the truck.

Attachments

·
Say lowered d
1,349 Posts
roll pan

Zac, use a rivet gun to attach the tabs underneath. I used screws on mine and they always like to work loose. Then the hole gets bigger while they wiggle around with screws in it. Rivets will work great. Good luck. That blue looks cool too:thumbup:

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The pic is coming. I just finished doing 3 clear coats. Gotta wait for it to dry. After doing the wet sanding I decided it didn't need anymore paint. It has a beautiful glass like finish now with the clear coat.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Right on:thumbup:

Mine's painted and mounted...couldn't get the factory paint in a can, but I got it close enough:p

Pics will be up tomorrow after the big truck cruise that's going on here.

Jay

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well here it is mounted on the truck. The gap between the tailgate is bigger than the old pan but that's good because the old one rubbed a bit when I opened the tailgate. I would have liked it to fit tighter on the ends against the quarter panels. The color match is as good as it gets. The rest of the truck is kinda dirty so the rest of the truck may look lighter than the pan right now. The glossiness of the clear coat doesn't really show well in this pic. I'm going to get a couple pics in daylight tomorrow. I have to wait till next week before I get the license plate lights. Stupid me...I forgot to order them the same time as the pan.

Attachments

·
Long Bed Member
3,065 Posts
lookin good :thumbup:

·
A Constant Work in Progress
1,088 Posts
How much was thfactory roll pan? I'm thinkin bout getting one and cutting the holes for the duals I hope to get by next year instead of buying a fiberglass one that cost more. Later all.

·
xtreme nutcase
487 Posts
it turned out pretty good.

what did you use to paint that with? do you have a paint booth or just a couple of color match spray bomb?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I go to Lordco Auto Parts and get the paint mixed and put into spray bombs. Cost about $10.00 a can. You get three cans from 1 pint of paint. I still have a can and half left over. It's Plasti-Kote brand paint by the way. For clear coat I used Plasti-Kote clear acrylic enamel.

That final pic really doesn't do it justice. It was dark when I finished getting it installed so all I had for light was the fluorescents in my garage. I tried the flash on the camera but it reflected way too much from every angle.

I'm going to get some daylight shots tomorrow.

·
want my #... 911 beotch!!
2,186 Posts
Zac said:
I go to Lordco Auto Parts and get the paint mixed and put into spray bombs. Cost about $10.00 a can. You get three cans from 1 pint of paint. I still have a can and half left over. It's Plasti-Kote brand paint by the way. For clear coat I used Plasti-Kote clear acrylic enamel.

That final pic really doesn't do it justice. It was dark when I finished getting it installed so all I had for light was the fluorescents in my garage. I tried the flash on the camera but it reflected way too much from every angle.

I'm going to get some daylight shots tomorrow.
just out of curiosity, what is a "spray bomb"?:confused:

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Hmmmm.....how do I say this. A spray bomb is what is commonly known as paint in a spray can.

Sweetbutxtreme. I paid $63.00 CDN. I've seen the same part listed in the states for as little as $22.00 up to about $38.00 US. It should be an option or something the dealer could install when buying a new truck.

·
Registered
64 Posts
sweetbutxtreme said:
How much was thfactory roll pan? I'm thinkin bout getting one and cutting the holes for the duals I hope to get by next year instead of buying a fiberglass one that cost more. Later all.
I wouldnt reccomend getting a fiberglass roll pan. I had one on my truck and it ripped and started hanging off and flopping around. I happened to drag it in the sand at glamis but ive seen guys around where i live who had the same problem with impropper mounting. If you do get one just make sure to get screws in the bottom corners to prevent that.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
After trying to get a good pic of this project something was bugging me. The rollpan just didn't line up with body lines of the rear quarter panel as well as I would have hoped. So I unbolted the tabs on the bottom corners and decided to move the bottom out a little. It turned out I had to drill some new holes in the tab which is on the rear quarter panel to make it line up more to my liking. I made a new hole 1/4" farther back of the factory hole. Now it lines up with lines off the quarter panel allot better. As you can see by the pics it looks allot better than the previous pic farther up the thread. In that previous pic you can see the bottom corners look like they are too far in.

I'm still not done with it quite yet. I have to get the license plate lights. They'll hopefully be showing up next week.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts