S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
STRONG LIKE BULL
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my truck is running like ass

thats the best way i can describe it. a week or so ago i replaced the valve seals on my heads and ever since then its been running worse and worse every day. it takes for ever to warm up, it dosnt idle very well and is totally laking power.
im totally miffed as to what the problem is
please help someone. i know its not much to go on but is there anything i should check

·
Dain Bramaged Member
1,583 Posts
you may want to check the timing, that could be your problem there...or you may need to adjust the idle, or you could have a problem with the thermostat....

·
STRONG LIKE BULL
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
timing is good idle is good but im starting to think its the thermostat to so ill check that and a coupl other things

·
STRONG LIKE BULL
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i was thinking that when it forst started to do it but i have losened them and checked those and they seem fine

·
STRONG LIKE BULL
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well im half way there

i tore it to the engine today and checked everything

2 pistons were kind of low on the compression test, the lowest being 138 so im not to woried about that. some of my plugs were pretty bad so i did some detective work and found that one of my spark plug wires was ripped and was grounding to the firewall at the distributor. my dad had bought me new wires for my birthday so i put those on with some new plugs and i still ran like crap. so i took off the valve covers to check for some lash and found a very little amout and corrected that. i put it back togther and tryed it once more and it was a tiny bit better but was very shaky around the 6 degrees of timing i should have it at. so after about a half hour of scratching my head and testing different things it hit me. cylinder 6 and 8 had gotten there plug wires crossed so fixed that and smaked myself in the head for not seeing it erlier. i fired it up again aand i purred like a kitten :D

im still playing with the timing though, a think im going to put it up to 4 or even 2 degrees because its still a little to smoth for my taste.

just thought id update ya

·
JC Whitney Pimpin' Member
12 Posts
Hey, i switched two wires around once when i did my swap too :D boy when i took it for the first test run and it ran like crap i was pretty mad!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts