S-10 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:gunfire:eek:kay, i did a search and all i came up with is the swap on a 2.2L four banger. I have the starter unbolted from the bell housing and the motor/tranny brace pulled off, the splash guard, and still can't get enough space to get the darn starter out!!! i keep pushing the wire looms around trying to get that last 1/2" to get that nipple lookin thing on the end of the starter to fall out of the hole...does anyone have any experience with this?? something i'm missing?? forgot etc. it's a 95 2wd 4.3L....

·
Kramerica Industries
342 Posts
I gave up on fixing starters on these myself....it's just not worth the aggrivation for me. You will really have to unbolt the engine and pick it up enough to give yourself room. If you take the selonoid out you can get a few more tenth's of inches clearance....which you will need.

I've gone I'm on my third starter now....and my even my mechanic dreads this job.
I saw him working on it last time he replaced it....he had to put it up on the lift to get a better angle on the thing!! :eek:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'm about --->} {<---- this close to breaking out a cutting torch and having the worlds first three piece starter!!!! i have to take the motor loose from the motor mounts and lift it to get the starter out?!?!!?!?!!! this has gone from bad to worse in a half second............:lol: :argue: :ahole: thanks for the help, see if i cant turn the truck upside down or something...

·
Registered
163 Posts
They don;t say this in the GM service manual, but on my 96 BY FAR the easisest way to change the starter was to remove the passenger side exhaust manifold. My 96 had a good coat of anti seize on the those manifold bolts so it was easy. And I dopn't have AC so even easier. Hope this helps, its a PIA.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i was looking, and the manifold looks like soooo much fun!!! i can't believe how much of a pain in the arse this is!!!!!

·
Registered
402 Posts
i pulled mine out from under the truck it was a tight fit but i got it in and out that way

·
Registered
402 Posts
Jack up the engine about 2" Then remove it (To make it easier, pull the passenger side motor mount bolt)
i did this also but i did not remove the y-pipe or crossmember

·
Registered
126 Posts
LvS10 said:
i'm about --->} {<---- this close to breaking out a cutting torch and having the worlds first three piece starter!!!! i have to take the motor loose from the motor mounts and lift it to get the starter out?!?!!?!?!!! this has gone from bad to worse in a half second............:lol: :argue: :ahole: thanks for the help, see if i cant turn the truck upside down or something...
I did this on a 91 4.3! It was not easy, I was using the larger starter. What I remember is that we dis-connected the wires and got them out of the way , then the bolts, I think the lower part of the bell housing. Maybe the tranny cooling lines? Might have LOOSEN the the exause pipe???? After doing all this it was sort of a "Rubic's cube" on getting it in or out, twisting or rolling the starter to clear things, It may have been that the front of the starter came out first, I just dont remember!!!!! I do remember having to put the wires on before we bolted it up. For a replacement starter I got the smaller one, that helps.

If you do get it out REMEMBER the moves you made to get it out, there will be a test when you put it back!

Good luck!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I managed to get my starter out of my 96 4.3 4x4 without having to unbolt anything extra (solenoid, motor mounts, exhaust manifold..). The chiltons manual said to raise the engine, but with some creative twisting and turning I was able to get it out no problem. I cant really remember exactally how it was positioned though, so I'm no help. Sorry.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hey pacman, do you remember how you "lifted" your motor?? i don't exactly have a hoist or a cherry picker or anything. I'm doing this in the street, it's just a 1/2" too long ya know......thanks you guys, any thoughts on how i can "lift" the motor with a floor jack and a saturday morning i'd appreciate it

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
I have a 1st Gen and it's not a Blaz, but when I did mine, I unhooked
the wiring harness, pulled the trans inspec cover, pulled the bolts,
pushed the starter forward and up some and it JUST cleared
enough that the gear housing side was able to fall down bringing
the rest of the starter . I do know next time I do it, I'm gonna
make up a harness that plugs into the wires I'll leave on the starter.

What a PITA they were.:(

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a 92 4x4 with the 4.3 and i've done three starters now and
I just removed the wires and while laying on my back i just twisted and moved the starter and out it came. It even went back in easier. It still isn't fun but I quit buying cheap rebuilds and went to NAPA and no more starter problems.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Norm, this might be the key to the whole problem! "the right starter", The one I removed was a large one, the same size as whats on my 350. I got a new one that was alot smaller, it was around $100. I would say 30% smaller. The s10 I was working on was a 4.3 2/wd, 700r4 tranny, all stock,maybe exhust replaced! The only reason I removed the starter in the first place was to inspect the flywheel teeth, whitch had 11 teeth missing. Thats another story!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts