S-10 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I need to get to work
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '98 2.2L...

I heard S-bodies have the same rear as an F-body... so, can I use the LSD unit, the disk brakes... and possibly higher gears in my truck?

·
footbraker
1,236 Posts
The F body rearend was wider and made for coil springs not leaves. You would be money ahead to narrow a ford 9", they're way stronger and easy to find

·
up to sumthing
575 Posts
yes you can swap the gears & posi & brakes easily but not really the whole housing because its wider & made for coil springs

·
I need to get to work
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was only planning on using the posi, gears and brakes... then I want to get a big brake kit later on... so I guess it'll work, right?

·
Registered
45 Posts
S10s have come with 7.5", 7 5/8" and 8.5" rear ends. 8.5" should handle LS1 with or without an automatic. Rear end should never hook up enough to break an 8.5 from what I have read. I've also read but cannot confirm, that certain blazers have disc brake rearends. My suggestion is to find an an 8.5, ideally with posi, and salvage disc brakes from a blazer. (8.5 never came in blazers) I'm open to any corrections if somebody thinks otherwise.

·
up to sumthing
575 Posts
LOL

thats not true, i blew up everything in my 8.5 :(

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
nickelsun692 said:
S10s have come with 7.5", 7 5/8" and 8.5" rear ends. 8.5" should handle LS1 with or without an automatic. Rear end should never hook up enough to break an 8.5 from what I have read. I've also read but cannot confirm, that certain blazers have disc brake rearends. My suggestion is to find an an 8.5, ideally with posi, and salvage disc brakes from a blazer. (8.5 never came in blazers) I'm open to any corrections if somebody thinks otherwise.
I believe the 8.5" rear did come in blazer's with a 5spd. I could see breaking an 8.5" if it was pushed enough.

·
I need to get to work
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone. I've heard of the 4x4 Blazer route... but then I guess I won't be able to use the gears... unless I find some that ARE 4.10s... I mostly want the posi anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts