S-10 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Dr. Pepper is ma BITCH
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thats what i need, EXTREME POWER!!! I have the chance to purchase a 305 for a very good price...but i really had my heart set on a 350, i have heard that it is the same block and i was wondering what it takes to convert a 305 into a 350 or if it is even possible, thanks:thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Say lowered d
1,349 Posts
the block might

be a little bit harder to find, but the 350 is going to be cheaper to build. Take the time and get what you want to get instead of spending money twice to redo it and get a 350 later down the line too.

·
Self Portrait
1,632 Posts
What ya gonna do with all the power that a V-8 developes? It isn't like your gonna be able to launch from a traffic light any harder than a mildly worked 4.3L. A 350 is a eye popper under the hood, I just don't think that you can get the rear meats to hook up that well and if ya can't use the extra power that the V-8 is making....why have the weight penalty?

Let me know what your thoughts are on all that power!

·
Say lowered d
1,349 Posts
man,

what a way to kill the mood. Ask 98ssonnos about rear meats, and he will tell ya that it will hook up with the proper work. Proflo'd might be able to help ya out too. 295-xx-15,16 yada, yada, yada. Not tryin to tell ya that 4.3's arent worth anything, but people put Paxtons on 4.3's and that gonna give more power than a stock 350 will. If I have to tub, I'll tub too.:cool: I'm really not tryin to make ya mad.

·
2 Litre Terror
1,964 Posts
Im with lowerred,

Geuss the vettes dont need all that power either...LOL

·
Self Portrait
1,632 Posts
Sorry about the post sounding agruementative....it wasn't meant to be. I was just asking....I thought about the V-8 thing myself. If my engine were to let go I would seriously think about a 350. I was just exploring everyone's thought processes. I think that a turbo setup running about 5-7 lbs of boost might be a kick in the pants as well as look good on our trucks. Hell...I'd like to explore the upper rev limits of a highly balanced and blu printed 2.2L just to see what can be gained there!!

·
Self Portrait
1,632 Posts
Red, I don't think that I want to be in the cab when my air plow truck hits 150 mph!!!!!!!!!!! :)

A vette hooks a lot better than an S-10.....that's all I'm saying.

Don't argue with me.... I'll come up there and drink all your beer.

·
Say lowered d
1,349 Posts
thats cool rhenry,

Yeah a turbo 2.2 would be cool. Anything can be built past the limits of the vehicle I suppose. Mine right now with the 350 is that way. I get what your sayin though.:D

·
2 Litre Terror
1,964 Posts
Ah Rick,

Come up for the beer anyway, was just saying that I prefer 0 - 60 as fast as I can.....In New York, there really arent may places to do 150 anymore....LOL:thumbup:

·
Twisted Inc.
414 Posts
Hey I have a 383 Stroker in my little s-10 and I can smoke just about anybody around in the quarter mile! And a 383 Stroker is a highly modified 350 block now don't get me wrong i still get beat by vette's but the v-8 choice is defintly one I don't regret making!

·
Registered
120 Posts
well as far as whats the biggest ive seen in a S-10 was a 496 blown big block at super chevy,on the Holley rear wheel dyno it made 499 hp but i never saw it make a pass.I personaly just finished a 434 c.i. small block in my S-10 blazer(goto street racing and look in the whats your hp for a rundown) I tried to make a pass in it last weekend but I shattered my ring gear and twisted a axle.guess those 9 inch ford stock axles arent strong enough.I have some new axles from moser on the way :)

·
Self Portrait
1,632 Posts
Sounds like an expensive day at the track. As soon as you get a time slip let us know what your numbers are, I'm real interested!

Thanx :)

·
Registered
211 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
as far as the rpm goes,you can trun a 350 as high as your budget will allow,I ve owned a few stock 305's and about 5 grand they just dont cut it.A 350 will easily go 5 grand in stock form,add a cam change intake and carb and 6500 isnt a problem.We ran a 350 with the cast crank in it,stock rods,flat tops,and mildy ported closed chamber heads and turned it 7 grand at the track every pass for over a year.Also the rod/stroke ratio is a big factor in the rpm a engine can turn,a 305 and 350 have the same rods(5.7) and crank (3.48 stroke):guitar:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts