S-10 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a '99 S10. I'm thinkin about changing exhaust. Right now I've got a 40 Series Flowmaster. Sounds cool. Had a glassplack sounded to import. But I'm thinking of going to a Gibson or Dynomax exhaust. Does anybody have a Gibson or Dynomax muffler. What does it sound like. Trying get some input before I change if I decide to.

·
UAH By-product
1,092 Posts
Might wanna throw Borla in the mix. I've heard several people on here praise them also. I'll probably get Borla or Gibson when I get around to it.....

·
P.O.S-Truck Customs
273 Posts
I've heard a Magnaflow on a 2.2 and it sounded amazing, it was by far the best sounding exhaust I've ever heard on one of our trucks (except mine:D)!

I also like my Purple Hornies Glasspack Muffler and Flo-Pro turbo muffler though(personal opinion).

*they are interchangible to see which one I liked best*

-truckin-

·
Registered
312 Posts
i have a gibson muffler on my truck and it doesn't sound like anything around here. Everybody asks me what it is. I like it because Gibson only makes mufflers for trucks.

·
Registered
12,215 Posts
I have dynomax.. I'm not saying I don't like it, but I would like to go to a differant one..

At idle, on a cold start it sounds like shit..
It just has a really wierd muffled sound, and it just sounds wierd.
As soon as engine warms up and runs a little smoother, it sounds great

Mid ranger -> sounds pretty sweet, has a nice tone to it.

High end --> starts to sound like a ricer.. But it doesn't really.. It like just hits the whining weedwacker noise a little bit too much, it could use a little toning down, but i also have dual outlet muffler, that could be the reason it sounds a little higher than it should

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I have a gibson cat back and I like it alot it is also uses less restrictive piping, with manderal bends, which flows better.

·
UAH By-product
1,092 Posts
how hard is it to install the gibson? get a new gasket....bolt it right up? tighten a few bolts? I hope so :)

Brad

·
Autocross'n Member
363 Posts
I have a Gibson Cat-back too and I love it.Yeah,the install is pretty straight forward.The only pain is you'll probably break the flange studs and have to knock them out and replace them with nuts and bolts(supplied with kit).

·
UAH By-product
1,092 Posts
Nice. I wonder if Gibson or Borla uses the better flowing piping a.k.a. better performance (i know its not gonna help much either way but still).

·
Do I need a gas mask?!
5,780 Posts
Zq-8_dawg said:
I have a gibson cat back and I like it alot it is also uses less restrictive piping, with manderal bends, which flows better.
am i wrong, or is it, including downpipe. form manifold to turn down my exhaust has three bends? the last time i redid my exhaust one the pipe hit the cat. it was straight for 3-4 feets then the muff.(mmm heheh) and the turndown. so i dont care about mandrel bends. its not turbo

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
No downpipe is included, too bad cause last time I saw it it appearded to be very small. It is true that there are only a few bends in the stock exhaust, however when I put my gibson on, the piping looked a little larger than stock, and the bends seemed alot better. In all reality, mandral bends will probably not help the 2.2L out too much, but if you have mods to support it then it might help more.

·
Autocross'n Member
363 Posts
Just incase anybody wondered,stock exaust is 2 1/4".The Gibson is 2 1/2" w/3" polished stainless tip.Also works great with a high flow cat.My Catco cat made the Gibson sound deeper.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Gibson's catalog states that the cat-back for a 2.2L is 2.25". You are correct, though, that the stock piping is 2.25".

-Chris

1 - 15 of 15 Posts