S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Computer Geek
6,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am getting a rattling underneath my truck. i located it to the exhaust over the rear end. does anyonek know how i can fix this without taking it to a local shop and having them fix it. i will post pics if needed.

·
Black SS
5,869 Posts
There could be a small leak in the exhaust causing a rattle. Can you hear it more when its in gear driving, instead of in neutral revving? Might need a stethoscope to find it, check around the welds. To fix it yourself your probably gonna need a welder.

·
Computer Geek
6,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well it is mainly at idle when i am not sitting in the truck. when i sit in the driver seat the rattle stops and when i stand it starts. when i hold the exhaust tip up at the back it stops and when i let it go it starts. i doubt it is a leak but idk.

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
I would say check the hanger rubber mounts or the hangers themselves, maybe one of the hangers rusted through or the rubber on a hanger is really brittle and allowing the pipe to bounce around a bit.

·
Computer Geek
6,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is there a hanger over the rear? i really cant get underneath truck it is kinda hard but i can try and look for hangers

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
There should be one right after the muffler and then there is another about a foot back from the end of the tailpipe, both are mounted to the frame. Maybe jack the right rear of the truck up to make it easier to maneuver under there so you can check things out.

·
Computer Geek
6,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that is the problem my jack won't fit underneath the truck too low. i know for a fact the rear hanger is good and solid i haven't looked up near the muffler yet though. i'll check that one out tomorrow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts