S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the Cat-Back exhaust on my '94 Blazer 4WD 2 -Door. Any one out there want to recommend the best way to go? So far I can go stock for about $100, or DYNOMAX muffler/tailpipe for about $50 more, and the dynomax is still 2 1/4 pipe. What is the difference between the 2- and 4-door tailpipe? Could I just cut off a 4 door pipe and then go 2 1/2"?

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have a 91 4dr 4x4 4.3 and I ended up with a flowmaster 40 series and custom piping single in dual out to straight pipes in the back. What sounds good on your truck will entirely depend on what engine you have. I like the sound of mine as it almost sounds like a small V8..quietish at idle and a little louder at load and higher RPMs. total cost to me was 300 bucks but it involved a lot of custom pipe work and its all welded nice and secure. Good stuff.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 4.3 Z engine (5-speed)...I'm NOT going to spend $300 on exhaust though, that's a bit high in my <cheap>book...thanks though

·
Registered
288 Posts
Mine was expensive due to custom mandrel bent pipes... you could get away cheaper by just replacing the muffler and getting stock piping replacements... the 4.3 does well with most mufflers and while its not going to be mistaken for a V8 you don't need to resort to a fart can or a glass pack muffler to make noise.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh believe me, noise is the last thing I want...I'm too old for that nonsense...I just want something that will last longer than stock replacement parts. I think I'll have to go to a shop with a pipe-bender and just get aluminized tubing or maybe stainless if I feel like breaking the bank.

·
Registered
288 Posts
There is a company called Spintech which makes mufflers and they seem to be well regarded. They have various models depending on the noise levels and performance you want. They also tend to be pricey. I think the problem you may run into will be that almost all aftermarket mufflers will be a bit louder then stock at the very least. If you aren't looking for louder and better flow stock replacement might be your best bet. After all the truck is a 94...how many more years will you be planning on keeping it before maintainence gets to bothersome? My 91 has an engine transplant and a relatively clean body and needed an exhaust anyway. Thats the only reason I did mine. At least with a Midas or Meinekie or other muffler chain they mostly have lifetime guarantees now which means if it rusts out you get a new one and only have to pay labor which isn't bad since with a lift it takes them about half an hour to do it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hope I have it a lot longer, it only has 51K on it and it's been babied...I put in 4WD once a year just to make sure it still works....That's why i want comething that is corrosion resistant, all of that sitting around makes the exhaust "crispy" pretty fast.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Cold Rolled steel will last a couple years, aluminized will last maybe a year or 2 longer.
Now 304 Stainless steal will most likely out last your truck but you have to pay for it.

I dont know alot about the full aluminum exhaust, But I would try it. If the price was right!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Yeah... hes right its gonna cost you if you really want it to last. If you intend to keep it I would go one of two routes... either spend some bucks and get a nice setup...or go to a local muffler shop that has a lifetime guarantee and just spend the labor money whenever the exhaust rusts out every three to five years or so. good luck with it!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts