S-10 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.. I just bought a 1998 s10 with a 4.3 a few months ago.. has about 95000 miles...Since I got it, the exhaust has been making a wicked rattling noise. I bought a new muffler, but I havent installed it yet because I think that the cat may need replacing as well. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Also, Im getting a Service Engine Soon light that comes on frequently. Could this somehow be linked to the catalytic converter not working, or do you think it something entirely different?? The truck seems to be running Okay, other than the fact that it seems to be getting less mpg on the highway (20), than the fuel economy website said it should (23) with a manual transmission.
i would really appreciate any help.
thanks
justin

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
more than likely, the cat is going. go and buy a hi-flow cat (theyre cheap), and install that when you put the new muffler on.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what is a good hi-flow cat to buy? so far the only one that i have seen that i can put on this truck is the new magnaflow obd II converter.. are there any others?
thanks

·
12,507 Posts
catco makes some, i think.

·
S-Clusive's Jester
3,085 Posts
the best way to find out if you're cat is going bad is accelerate really fast with your window down. and if you get a stinky smell then the cat has hit the fan.

·
Registered
911 Posts
what do you consider cheap? the exhaust shop wanted to charge me 169.99 for a hi flow cat, so i was like nope

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all your help...
also, do you think the convertor has anything to do with the service engine light coming on? i read in one of my old trucks manuals that an exhaust problem may not necessarily set this light off.. maybe an 02 sensor??
thanks again

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ive never had to buy a converter for any of my trucks before.. but the prices for high flow cats ive been getting (online), are around 150 to 200.. thats about in my range. i just want to get the best one, for that amount..
now if its gonna be like over 250 than forget it..

·
12,507 Posts
yeah, when i had my 1995, the cat gutted itself, and caused the SES light to come on sporadically.

·
xtremefour
1,805 Posts
summit racing i know sells hi flow cats. I not real sure but there are some sensors down in that area so that could be a reason. I had to have a sensor replaced on my 2.2 that was down by the cat.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
does autozone really read the DTCs for free?? every place ive asked in S. Florida wants about 70 dollars just to read it..

·
12,507 Posts
yeah, either autozone or advanced auto should read them for free. ive never really looked for cats, but ive always heard the hi-flows are cheaper than OEM replacements ($1600). there is an O2 sensor before, and one after, the cat.

·
Registered
911 Posts
theres 3 o2 sensors in my truck, and they also said that newer cats are just like hi flow cats....

·
12,507 Posts
they are. the high-flow's are really designed to replace old-style pellet type converters, but an aftermarket cat ($50-$200) is cheaper than a dealer-installed one ($1600+).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts