S-10 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a bad exhaust leak near the motor. sounds like a briggs and straton lawnmower engine under hood. im pretty sure its either a craked manifold or blown exhaust manifold gasket.is it common for the exhaust manifold to crack.

·
95 S-10 2200
510 Posts
I've heard of a couple guys who had that happen. Here's a tip on how to find out where your ehaust leak is. I put a long 3" hose on my exhaust pipe with my truck in the garage and then closed the door so it set right on top of the hose. Then I ran some Sea-Foam through my brake booster line. When it starts to smoke you will be able to tell exactly where the leak is. Mine is leaking by that doughnut and it just bellowed out.

·
Registered
10,370 Posts
It could be the flex pipe on the down pipe leaking. My 98 S10 had that then one day the whole damn thing fell off and then it got REALLY loud. A had a shop that managed to weld it up and it held until the truck got hit head on and the insurance totaled it.

·
Ross Racing Engines
1,385 Posts
aperry62 said:
I've heard of a couple guys who had that happen. Here's a tip on how to find out where your ehaust leak is. I put a long 3" hose on my exhaust pipe with my truck in the garage and then closed the door so it set right on top of the hose. Then I ran some Sea-Foam through my brake booster line. When it starts to smoke you will be able to tell exactly where the leak is. Mine is leaking by that doughnut and it just bellowed out.
That's a damn smart idea!

·
Registered
9 Posts
the same thing happen to mine i have a 98 s-10 the flex pipe rotted away and i took it to a muffler shop and had them remove that part and add a pipe where the flex pipe was an it costed me like $85 bucks damn highway robbery if u ask me but it solved my problem.

·
Registered
99 Posts
aperry62 said:
yeah and doin it will help clean out your engine so you win both ways.
see, this is what i really dont get. have you ever burned just plain seafoam on your garage floor? if you have, you noticed that it just leaves a big black carbon residue on the floor and make thick black smoke. in my opinion, the stuff is worthless and all that black smoke your seein is just from the seafoam burning itself, not the carbon coming out of your engine.

i wont believe it until someone takes an older engine, puts seafoam in it, and then takes off the head. and has pictures to prove it.

·
Registered
367 Posts
yea mine was my flex pipe to but insted of spending $80 to fix it i spent $2. I cut out the flex and welding in and straight pipe adaptor and its been fine.

·
The doctor is in...
1,251 Posts
Drop a few drops on ATF in, that is the trick that I was told....only use a few drops...it will smoke like a mother....I learned the hard way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts