S-10 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got a 88 350 tucked into my 89 4wd s10. I ordered the swap headers from JTR conversions. Well. They don’t fit as described. Passenger side comes into contact with the shock tower. Driver side is obstructed by the steering shaft and fuel lines and frame. I’ve tried a couple sets of manifolds. Has anyone else had any issues with exhaust in this swap and what did you do to fix it? Any help is appreciated

·
Been there Done it
11,213 Posts
Sounds like 2wd headers. Even with the correct ones the fuel and brake lines usually need some tweaking. But SBC 4wd headers usually clear the shock towers and go around the steering shaft. Especially on a 1st gen that doesn't have the fat rubber covered shaft used on later trucks. You have to take it out and reinstall it in the space allowed for it after bolting the headers on. Throw away the paper gaskets included with the headers and get metal ones like the original manifolds use. They'll last forever. I also use soft copper collector gaskets.
I've had better luck with Patriot headers on 4wd swaps.
If you look at the pic you can see the center tubes are pushed out to clear the steering shaft.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like 2wd headers. Even with the correct ones the fuel and brake lines usually need some tweaking. But SBC 4wd headers usually clear the shock towers and go around the steering shaft. Especially on a 1st gen that doesn't have the fat rubber covered shaft used on later trucks. You have to take it out and reinstall it in the space allowed for it after bolting the headers on. Throw away the paper gaskets included with the headers and get metal ones like the original manifolds use. They'll last forever. I also use soft copper collector gaskets.
I've had better luck with Patriot headers on 4wd swaps.
If you look at the pic you can see the center tubes are pushed out to clear the steering shaft.
View attachment 346780
The ones I got look like these and hit the shock tower on the passenger side and the frame on both sides. I was honestly highly disappointed with the quality of the headers for the price I paid for them

·
Been there Done it
11,213 Posts
I looked them up. Don't like the design or price.
Another thing that may be adding to your issues is the JTR 4wd mounts, in my opinion, move engine too far to the passengers side. Makes getting at the rear 2 plugs next to impossible on that side.
I used them on my first 4wd S10 SBC swap because back then it was about all you could get.
I now use AA #713107 for SBC 4wd. A bit pricey at $165, but put the engine in the right place.
It's a real shame that Hooker never developed manifolds for this swap. But in today's world those
antique SBC's aren't cool. Before long it'll be hard to find even the mounts. Glad I have a spare set new in the box.
Got em cheap from an all too common "bought em but never used em" swapper wannabe.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I looked them up. Don't like the design or price.
Another thing that may be adding to your issues is the JTR 4wd mounts, in my opinion, move engine too far to the passengers side. Makes getting at the rear 2 plugs next to impossible on that side.
I used them on my first 4wd S10 SBC swap because back then it was about all you could get.
I now use AA #713107 for SBC 4wd. A bit pricey at $165, but put the engine in the right place.
It's a real shame that Hooker never developed manifolds for this swap. But in today's world those
antique SBC's aren't cool. Before long it'll be hard to find even the mounts. Glad I have a spare set new in the box.
Got em cheap from an all too common "bought em but never used em" swapper wannabe.
View attachment 346782
Thank yoj. I will look into another set of mounts. These would be my fourth set lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts