S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i wanna do some cat-back exhaust on my 98 4.3. ive heard that dual pipes from the muffler decreases your backpressure, thus decreasing torque...is this true or not? if so, are there any single pipe setups that give good power and sound??:confused:

·
A Constant Work in Progress
1,088 Posts
yer not talkin bout true duals are ya?......if yer talkin bout just a single in and dual out, then yes you will lose some backpressure but nothing dramatic......the added performace from the exhaust will more than make up for it.......someone correct me if i'm wrong tho

·
Resident Mechanic
365 Posts
well i had a glasspack on my truck with headers and no cat i tried out a flowmaster which has more backpressure than the glasspack and the added backpressure slowed the truck down bigtime both in lowend and high end i went back with a gibson which is basicly a glasspack and the power came back ehh u figure it out

·
Bass Junkie
76 Posts
Side swept pipes

Heya Fast98SS350 do ya have aby pics of your Side swept exhaust pipes?? I was thinkin about gettin that setup but want to see how it looks first!
:thumbup:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so the gibson single side is a good setup. how about the sound???

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Gibson is a very quite exhaust...I have Flowmaster on mine with single in dual out and love it...You won't loose any backpressure....Most of your back pressure is pressed back from the cat and not much from the muffler on....If you use 2" pipes it makes really good power. Trust me on this I have it exiting out right before the back tire on the passenger side. I don't have pics anymore but might be able to get some this weekend if you want me to.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah if u could get pics that would be great, i would love to see your set up

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Ok, I will take them with the digital this weekend....By the time I get out of work it is to dark to take them.

·
Visual-Insanity.org
249 Posts
Bakc pressure is generally controlled by the cat and the muffler both. I run a high flow cat and a 3"/3" Votrex muffler, it dropped some backpressure, but also gained approx. 7-10hp. so if your going fromt he stock muffler to say a flowmaster/gibson/borla single in/dual out... don't worry, you like the difference.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what are the stock inlet and oulet sizes on the cat and muffler?

·
Visual-Insanity.org
249 Posts
I think its 2-1/4 and 2-1/8 don't hold me to that.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
is that for the cat AND the muffler??

·
Visual-Insanity.org
249 Posts
the cat should be 2-3/8 in/out the muffler shoud be 2-3/8 in and 2-3/8 out, I looked it up

·
Resident Mechanic
365 Posts
heres my gibson exhaust truck is dirty a little and the tips need cleanin and straightening up but here ya go

Attachments

·
Trick MotorSports!
1,253 Posts
what does that window sticker say....the one that looks like an "Intel Inside" mark?

·
the envy of the town
10 Posts
I just got my new exhaust 2 weeks ago, I got magnaflow, which I have been told manufactures gibsons products (meaning magnaflow is supposedly higher quality). Anyways, it was funny, when I told the guy that I wanted to keep it single in single out, he had to clean out his ears and I had to repeat it. He said that 9 of 10 customers want dual on their 6 cyl, and he said he's preached about more power from single than dual his whole life (which I'm guessing is about 55 years). Well, 1 hour and $250 later, I rolled outta there with a truck bragging about 15 hp more than stock, and the sound is amazing. From the start I didn't want anything too loud, and what I got was a deep sound. I'm really pleased, its not loud at idle, but you hear and feel it up around 2000 and 3000 rpms. I chose to get a 3 inch rolled edge tip, which I've gotten many compliments out of. heres a pic (oh and dont worry, a roll pan is coming soon!)

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i like that setup, but i want mine to be as loud as possible..im thinking maybe 40 series flowmaster with possibly a catco cat. any suggestions?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts