S-10 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
LJSilvers
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 days after I bought my 84 s10 it started to puke oil big time. I parked it until I got to have it looked at to day. Its not just the timing cover as I thought. It had sat quite a while before I bought it. It was slightly oily when I looked at it, but no drips or really oily spots on it. Well, that's what 30 years, low miles and storage does. Gasket n seal kit comes in next week. :rant:

·
It's "Neanderthal"
5,411 Posts
Lots of blow by past the rings can push oil past the seals. You say it has low miles so the rings may not be worn, but they might be stuck from sitting for years. Take the oil filler cap off and put your hand over the hole while it's running to feel for combustion blow by.

·
Registered Hoosier
4,426 Posts
Distributor o ring was a common cause of leaks on 2.8 engines.

·
4 Year Intermediate Tech
1,829 Posts
good luck i rebuilt my 85 2.8 and even after a speedy sleeve to repair the groove in the back journal it still leaks a crap ton of oil

·
Boozebag
8,995 Posts
It may sound like alot of work (it is) I have found that removing the engine and setting it up on an engine stand, degreasing the entire unit, then priming and painting goes a long way.
Oh, and while the engine is out, resealing everything. :haha:
I would also replace the timing chain, rear main seal, clean out the oil pan and so forth.
I am doing this exact process to an old 2.5 Duke. It was leaking oil so badly, it looked like a sludge dump from an oil refinery... :p
The main leak (I found out) was the rear main seal which spins in it's housing. It had shrunk!

One other famous leak on the 660 is the oil filter housing to block gasket. I've had to replace a few of those over the years...

·
LJSilvers
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mad Max, thats what we are doing, going to make it look like it matches the rest of the truck. And oil filter housing to block gasket, Ill check that out too thanks.

·
Registered Hoosier
4,426 Posts
^
this. You need to pull the engine to get the oil pan off anyway.

·
LJSilvers
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Engines out, being cleaned and so is the engine bay. Had to weight on the parts. Now everyone is taking turns with a cold or flu. Might, I hope, :eyes: be done on Mon.

·
LJSilvers
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Almost 6 months and absolutely leak free. :woot: After a week found out the fuel pump was leaking oil too. :doh: Then the trans pan gasket split on the pass side. :cuss: Now I just need to get a dual voice coil sub and install my Pioneer CD and speakers. :rock:

·
Awww..you ain't got shit!
3,268 Posts
Here's your leaky gaskets most common...basically all of them

1. Valve covers. Use rubber gaskets. Only use RTV where the head meets the intake. Nowhere else. Fixes it every time
2. Distributor O-ring. Put a 350 paper gasket under the mount for extra protection
3. Oil filter adapter. Make sure completely clean. Check the rubber gasket around the bolt!!
4. Rear seal on old 85-down. Shitty design
5. Front Seal on 85- down. Shitty design.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
8 Participants
jimmykicker
S-10 Forum
S10forum is the community to discuss the S-Series, Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon. Join to discuss rebuilds, modifications, tech articles and more!
Full Forum Listing