S-10 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a late model S10 LS, extended cab, and a 4.3.

My plans consist of having something I can daily drive a few days a week, nice street and highway manners, possibly running 11-something in the 1/4, etc.

With a L-series 5.3, I/H, an 8.5 rear differential with 3:42s possibly going 3:73s later, stock ECU and PCU, 4L60-E, what type of numbers can I expect at the wheel?

I know I will have to do some work to end up with 300 HP/300 FT*LBS at the wheels.

·
Old Fart
3,224 Posts
I know with an L33 5.3 they are 310 at the flywheel stock so you don't need much to get 300 at the wheels. With headers, a cam, and a tune they make an easy 400hp. On an iron block 5.3 you would have to add better heads and up the compression to get there.

This article should give you some good info on 5.3s.

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/project-cars/sucp-1111-5-3l-ls-small-block-build/

Lots of good info on the LS forums as well.

·
Administrator
22,623 Posts
I have a late model S10 LS, extended cab, and a 4.3.

My plans consist of having something I can daily drive a few days a week, nice street and highway manners, possibly running 11-something in the 1/4, etc.

With a L-series 5.3, I/H, an 8.5 rear differential with 3:42s possibly going 3:73s later, stock ECU and PCU, 4L60-E, what type of numbers can I expect at the wheel?

I know I will have to do some work to end up with 300 HP/300 FT*LBS at the wheels.
I don't think 300hp is going to get you there.

·
Old Fart
3,224 Posts
I just realized that too, my car is AWD 300 hp and has a best of 13.2 and weighs about the same as a 2nd gen. He is going to need 400 or more at the wheels.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where, the 1/4 mile numbers?

With spray and slicks, it should. That'll bump up power and torque quite a bit. Laughing gas and slicks would only be used at the track maybe 2 or 3 times a year.

I ultimately want a bulletproof daily driven fun truck - well, that and the occasional haul my bike to the track until I can afford a 3500 with the dualies.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:haha:

Bulletproof in the aspect of the street application. I'm guessing if I can get to decent numbers at the wheels, this should be a fun little truck - actually, it's kind of fun with the 4.3. I don't know what the drive train losses are on S10s with LS family motors from the flywheel, so I'm trying to gauge what to expect to plan properly.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does anyone have a solid percentage on drivetrain losses? I know about the 15% rule, but I beleive it's higher than 15%.

·
Been there Done it
7,826 Posts
Back in the day we used to say "There is no substitute for cubic inches". Recently that has been changed to "There is no substitute for cubic inches or technology".
But if you want a fun DD that puts out some power when needed why not do both. Like an LQ9 rated stock at 345 hp at 5200 RPM and 380 lb-ft of torque at 4000 RPM. With a little tweeking 400 hp is easy and all that torque will make if a real ball to drive. Gonna need bigger tires.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I initially was thinking about a LQ4 or a LQ9, but then I thought the 6.0 would be excessive compared to a 5.3. I went to the yards today, and I noticed 5.3s are in abundance. However, the more sought after 5.3s are harder to find. I'll be patient.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Upon further research, a LQ4 or LQ9 may just be in the plans. The 4l60E will work with the engine, but I'm thinking of building a beefier 4l65E just to handle the extra torque. It depends on how my money flows. I do know that the 6.0L is gonna drink some gas during DD. Gotta pay to have fun I guess.

Will the stock S10 fuel pump work, or do I need to upgrade to a Walbro 255?

What's the flow rate on a stock pump for the L33s and LQ4s/LQ9s? ....gone searching... I'll be back...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts