S-10 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Xtreme Lowz
152 Posts
Why would you ditch the "shiny mettalic focusing assembly"? So you can run halogens? Where are you super gluing or "gooping" the headlight to?

My passenger side started working again. Obviously somethings loose. No time to mess with it. It's been garaged with a battery tender on it since march. I plan on finding a retainer plate so a after market set of hids will plug in.

·
"The Dude Abides"
6 Posts
So you took out the standard envoy projector? You sir, are a dumbass
I left in the focuser to start with. The light barely shined. I removed it and it was like a brand new light shining twice as far and twice as bright.
If your keeping it in your light assembly to some how trying to keep the car "original" then your the one who is a dumbass. No reason to sacrifice clarity or performance just to call something original.

·
Registered
10,370 Posts
You're the dumbass for acting like you discovered gold and digging up every year old thread or more about Envoy HID's. You're not the only one who figured out how to replace the expensive factory bulb/ballast with an aftermarket HID kit. There's lots of How To threads on here about it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same problem here, 1999 GMC Envoy, driver's side low beam went out. Called a GM dealer and the ignigtor was $645, the ballast $600. The stupid mechanic I took it to couldn't come up with a feasible solution so I went searching online and found this forum. I read what Psychostorm posted and figured it was worth a try. I know next to nothing about cars, but with a little help and tools from a friend, we were able to remove the bumper, remove both the ignigtor (which the mechanic broke while trying to figure out the problem) and the ballast - which was a pain in the butt. Originally, the bulb would light for a moment when the vehicle started but went out just after; we used a tester (forgive my lack of mechanical knowledge and terms) and found that the ballast wasn't putting power out to the ignigtor. We cut away the wires and attached a 9006 bulb - works like a charm!! I do see that the light isn't super bright, but this was a temp fix until we can put a new headlight assembly in. It took about 2 hours - and was easy enough that we're thinking of removing the other (good) ballast and ignigtor, selling them and doing the other side. Being a woman who knows very little about vehicles - with the right tools, I feel confidant that I could do this on my own next time (the job was that easy) - thanks to this thread. Cost was about $30

·
Registered
773 Posts
JRae, welcome to S10!

SEARCH will be your best friend around here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here it is over a year later and the drivers side headlight is still working great, but I did notice that the light beam is aimed much higher and not really on the road now (I'm sure it was the position we put the new bulb back into the original mounting bracket), how do I fix this? Tonight the passenger low beam went out - yay me... We're going to bypass and disconnect the ignigtor and ballast like last time, just a 9006 bulb and extra wire.

·
4,749 Posts
Here it is over a year later and the drivers side headlight is still working great, but I did notice that the light beam is aimed much higher and not really on the road now (I'm sure it was the position we put the new bulb back into the original mounting bracket), how do I fix this? Tonight the passenger low beam went out - yay me... We're going to bypass and disconnect the ignigtor and ballast like last time, just a 9006 bulb and extra wire.
I just picked up some envoys but only got one ballast and bulb. I plan to use DS1 style bulbs and build a metal strap to hold them on using the stock bolt locations.

·
Slammed 96
45 Posts
I have envoy head lights and they take (took) the D1S bulb so this is what I did instead of giving my money away.
1st I ordered this http://cgi.ebay.com/HID-CONVERSION-KIT-XENON-H1-H4-H7-H11-9005-9006-9007_W0QQitemZ250513094820QQihZ015QQcategoryZ94850QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m444QQ_trkparmsZalgo=CRX&its=C%2BS&itu=SI%2BUA%2BLM%2BLA&otn=5&ps=63
2nd I went to my local u-pull it and got these from a mid 90's buick regal

3rd I took the mounting bracket off of my D1S bulbs

4th I sandwiched the 9006 retainer from the buick in between the Envoy housing and the D1s bracket with the same screws that were holding in the D1S

then all that was left was wiring which was pretty easy for me since my jimmy came factory with H.I.D's I did not even need a relay harness or any thing cause it was all there already.
The only problem I have now is that I have stripped the star head out on the damn adjuster screws so I have to figure out how to turn them

You sir are a GENIUS and I thank you are a life saver well I should say a wallet saver

·
goin broke but n style
12,942 Posts
I did this ^^^^^^ exact thing on my set. got my pieces off a corsica. worked perfect. But I am running a 9006 HID KIT.

·
Registered
43 Posts
i just 5000k 35w HID converted my 2000 jimmy with "optix kits" off of ebay. both kits with spare 8000k bulbs were under 100$
High and low beam 9005/9006.
I hard wired both to switches so you can turn them both on at any given time aslong as the key's in it.. Totally love them and they're bright, would've like to have gotten the 55w thou. make them even brighter and more white.

·
Registered
2 Posts
1-Jimmy's NEVER came with HID.
2-Envoy owners dont SWITCH to HID conversions. Envoys come STANDARD with HID.
Yes the 1998 to 2000 GMC Jimmy came with the factory HID Headlights only on the GMC Jimmy Diamond Edition it's a rare version made for the 30th anniversary. I know as I've owned one for 11 years and going. People switch to the standard headlamp set up as the dealer charges over $800.+ for the entire headlamp assembly per side with new HID bulb that is non removable from the igniter that's connected to ballast thats inside the bumper. And yes the Envoy also came with the HID set up and that too is a rare edition.. I also own one of them as well. Search 98-00 GMC Jimmy Diamond Edition.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.