S-10 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.. again,

My engine rebuilding saga continues, I put the heads back on, and decided to turn it over before anything, and it won't. In neutral, no parking break (it rolls) but all I'm doing is tightening the pulley bolt. I should have tested it with heads off, but well, too late. It's been sitting with no heads or oil for probably 3 weeks, so could it have seized? Can I attempt to turn it with a starter maybe or put oil in the cylinders through spark plugs?

·
Registered
208 Posts
I always lube it down and turn it over before the heads,but definatley if you didnt pre lube the cylinder walls do it....and leave the plugs out. NEVER turn an engine over dry

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I always lube it down and turn it over before the heads,but definatley if you didnt pre lube the cylinder walls do it....and leave the plugs out. NEVER turn an engine over dry
That makes sense, I'm a first timer haha. Engine oil or WD-40 throigh spark plug holes? I don't wanna take the heads off 😫

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Still nothing, I keep turning the bolt on the pulley, and I'm pretty sure that small fine thread is overtorqued like no tomorrow by now. :/

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, it turned once I undid nuts on the rockers. I'm lost, I followed the manual for installation, 20ftlb of torque. Any idea?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Once the rockers are on it can be pretty hard to turn over! I thought somthing was wrong when i nightened all the rockers on mine..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I think that might be a solution to the problem, mine are most likely pressed in, not threaded in. So it's not 20 lbft, it's by lash (facepalm)

·
Registered
208 Posts
are the plugs out? did you wash down the cylinder walls while cleaning it up? you might want to add some marvel mystery oil or even some wd40 if those walls were "cleaned " by overspray of solvents. you can use a strap wrench around the crank pulley. If you didnt change rings on a high mileage engine,it shouldnt be that hard to spin . There are good guides on engine rebuild on this and other sites. Most important part of any project is knowing what you dont know and being able to admit it before you cost yourself work and money....and no, I'm not trying to be a smartarse...just tryin to help

·
Administrator
22,618 Posts
are the plugs out? did you wash down the cylinder walls while cleaning it up? you might want to add some marvel mystery oil or even some wd40 if those walls were "cleaned " by overspray of solvents. you can use a strap wrench around the crank pulley. If you didnt change rings on a high mileage engine,it shouldnt be that hard to spin . There are good guides on engine rebuild on this and other sites. Most important part of any project is knowing what you dont know and being able to admit it before you cost yourself work and money....and no, I'm not trying to be a smartarse...just tryin to help
Problem solved...post #7.

·
Registered
208 Posts
and at this point oil mist in the crank vents getting into the engine would be the least of my concerns. IMHO-If you have enough to work about -you have way too much blowby. I am nowhere near an expert on these things,and I ask probably a tiring amount of stupid questions on every project I do. I have rebuilt a buttload of engines both gas and diesel in my day and certain rules apply across the board

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited by Moderator)
oh sorry,I didnt realize he had them THAT tight. But still ya gotta take baby steps and ask questions of you guys much more seasoned than I
Lmao, yeah, I mean 20lbft per manual at lowest position, who knew there were two types of studs (not even that much of a torque). You are right that sometimes the manual knows more than I do, whowouldathought... 😅

1 - 14 of 14 Posts