S-10 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What’s up everyone,

my 85 s15 2.8 won’t idle. I can start it up with my foot on the gas and keep it running. As soon as I stop giving it gas, it dies. The other day I changed all the vaccine hoses because they were old and I figured it could be a vacuum leak. It didn’t fix the problem. I kept it running and started disconnecting things. When I disconnected the mixture controls solenoid, it idled fine. I already replaced the solenoid (it was the first thing I suspected to be wrong). I’m guessing it’s the connector that’s bad. Can someone tell me how to test to see if it’s good or if there might be something else I should be looking at?

Thanks,
Yowakawaka

4F20C30D-6A85-4AE6-AF02-4565C4855F50.jpeg

·
94 4x4,01 Blazer
2001 Blazer 4dr 4wd LT
1,181 Posts
time for a carb kit and a good cleaning

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Jayhawke it runs fine when you disconnect the mixture control solenoid. I think it’s electrical. I have this multimeter but dint really know how to use it. I’d like to test the connector to make sure I’m heading down the right path.

D239FAE8-B07B-4B6C-A1A2-8DA712E2F068.jpeg

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone know what settings I’m supposed to have the multimeter set to, what hole to put the red wire in, and what color to probe what hole with?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found this website where someone explains that the tip on the inside of the mixture control solenoid Can come off and get stuck in the carb. Here’s the website link.

I looked at the old one and saw the tip was there. I even took off the new one and the tip looks to be there as well. Here’s a photo of both. Hopefully you can see it.
(old)
7A930D45-DDB0-4BB5-B6CB-22EE8B5446CE.jpeg

(New)
65789F2A-C4E0-42A1-87C4-3D24D841EA96.jpeg

I also found this page in the manual about testing the mc solenoid.
D38EFE51-1077-47A8-A03E-E8F99D19BE90.jpeg

I don’t have a vacuum pump to do the test. I was gonna get one from harbor freight but I dint think it would even pump fast enough to do the test. Does anyone know of another way to do the test?

Also, @Jayhawke I think the carbs already been rebuilt. There was some extra carb gaskets in the cab when I got it. I was also looking inside it and it looks clean. I’m guessing this is why the guy was selling it in the first place.

Anything I should be looking at?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts