S-10 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Deadbeat
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone had a problem with there engine tapping on cold start?.....mine seems to tap for 30-60 seconds after starting.....i guess till the engine get oil to whatever is tapping....sounds like a valve.....dealer cant hear it....but its obvious.....doesnt do it while driving....

2000 s-10 xtreme v-6 auto

·
Registered
508 Posts
Mine did that for the first 4 years I had it but only when it was time to change the oil. I thought it was a friendly reminder built in by GM but it went away 3 years ago. You might have varnish build up on the lifters or carbon on the valves. You might want to try some engine flush the next time you change the oil and a good top end cleaner.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Mostly likely cause...

is one or more of the hydraulic lifters. The oil drains out and the lifter is no longer pumped up and stiff. It just takes a few seconds for the oil to re-fill the lifter once the cam starts pumping them up with the pushrods and rockers arms. It shouldn't be a problem if it goes away quickly. This can be more noticable if you have put in a lower viscosity oil like 5W-30 for winter temps also.

It is also possible that one or more of you rocker arm lock nuts are a little loose. Unless you have installed aftermarket rockers and studs they should be torqued down onto the OEM non-adjustable stud shoulder to 20lb.ft.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts