S-10 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1994 S10 ZR2 Wide Stance
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if anyone has done here yet, but has anyone swapped a supercharged 3800 into a s10/s15 that has a 4.3 currently in it? Will the transmission from the 4.3 bolt up to a 3800 and do you have to change the wiring harness much?

·
Been there Done it
14,584 Posts
Sounds like a lot of work for 30 hp. No the trans won't work. You'll need to build the wiring harness from scratch. Weren't those transverse mounted engines? If so the motor mounts will be a fun project.

·
time to get cereal
6,831 Posts
It would probably be easier to start with a 3.8L with T5 or 4L60e out of a Camaro and figure out the supercharger from there... or just turbo it.

Reactions: Salty Crusty

·
Registered
303 Posts
I'm swapping a 3800 into an RX-8. Making it turbo though, so there's plenty available for RWD thanks to the f-body. To retain the supercharger it would need to be modified to move the throttle body as it would otherwise sit inside the firewall/dash.

A drivetrain swap from an f-body might be easier, but IMO at that point you might as well go with a V8.
I want to swap a 3800 in place of my 2.2 as it'll fit that stock trans, otherwise I'd go the V8 route with a new trans.

·
Been there Done it
14,584 Posts
The LS series of engines are newer, more efficient, and usually more powerful. But... They are a lot more work and expense than a late model 350. For example, all of your front accessories will bolt on to a 350, but you'll need all new mounts and accessories for the LS. The LS won't bolt directly to your current transmission either w/o some adapters.
It's the age old game, how fast can you afford to go? A SBC swap is a lot less expensive.
Note: I didn't say inexpensive.
If your building a DD a 350 is just fine. Every engine swap in the USA doesn't have to be an LS.
Even if the internet and magazines say it's the only way to go.
Before the LS1 came out thousands of S10's got SBC swapped and the owners were happy with them.
Just don't make the mistake of trying to go too old school with a carb and TH350. That's 50 year old tech.
You obviously aren't afraid to be different or you wouldn't have initially asked about the Supercharged 3800.
Rant over.
I just spent another few hundred towards finishing my LS swap.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
32,773 Posts
The LS series of engines are newer, more efficient, and usually more powerful. But... They are a lot more work and expense than a late model 350. For example, all of your front accessories will bolt on to a 350, but you'll need all new mounts and accessories for the LS. The LS won't bolt directly to your current transmission either w/o some adapters.
It's the age old game, how fast can you afford to go? A SBC swap is a lot less expensive.
Note: I didn't say inexpensive.
If your building a DD a 350 is just fine. Every engine swap in the USA doesn't have to be an LS.
Even if the internet and magazines say it's the only way to go.
Before the LS1 came out thousands of S10's got SBC swapped and the owners were happy with them.
Just don't make the mistake of trying to go too old school with a carb and TH350. That's 50 year old tech.
You obviously aren't afraid to be different or you wouldn't have initially asked about the Supercharged 3800.
Rant over.
I just spent another few hundred towards finishing my LS swap.
Replacement parts canon barrels are available on Amazon... 😂

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.