S-10 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i have a 97 s-10 extended cab. 2.2 5 speed. It has about 145000 miles on and i have drove it to Texas three or four times. i want to pull this out along with the tranny and put something in with more power... i need some idea's and the approx cost of this... thanx

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
a v8 with fuel injection will cost 5-6k...no way around it...all the little things that will come up will guarantee this...now you could do a carbed motor for a lot less if it is used...but still plan on 5-6k for a v8 swap, thats with 1000.00 motor and not having to rebuild it...dont just see 600 dollar motor swap kit and 1000.00 motor and think you are done

get the jags that run manuals, they are the first thing you need to do

also stay away from any transmission with Turbo in the name....the th350s and th400s dont have overdrive....there is no reason to buy one of these transmissions unless you like 10mpg

700r4 is the only way to go with a v8 swap...overdrive is .7 : 1 and you could get 15-25 depending on engine/tire diameter, rearend gears, driving habits...you get the picture...

i have a 95 ext cab 4cyl 5spd and i have just priced everything from beginning to end for a TPI swap, i have added up to 3800-4000, but then i have to budget for things i dont know, so that is where i have gotten 5-6k (20% of what you think it will cost is about normal on a project like this)

i have now decided to do LS1 swap b/c after having the old engine rebuilt and the tranny rebuilt or getting a new one, i can buy an LS1 for the same price, but with like 33k miles

the best and cheapest thing you could do is find a V6 truck from the junkyard and pull EVERYTHING from it, thats the cheapest way to do it, other than buying a v6 truck

and also putting a v8 in a 97 model truck is not as simple as putting a carbed motor in it, not sure how laws in IN or whereever you live are, but in NC if it is 96 or newer it has to be hooked up to an ODBII scanner...so you cant pass with a carb motor...

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
also 90% of the people on here who jump up and say V8 swap is only thing to do...have never done a v8 swap in an s10

im not trying to scare you away from it, i am just looking at things realisticlly

and no offense to the people that say v8...if we all could we would have v8s...but a lot of research and time and a fair amount of money is needed to really make the move to a v8 in your dime

·
Registered
193 Posts
A carb'd (non-emissions legal) swap can be done for less than $1k. Here's what I spent on my old truck:

salvage complete carb'd 350/TH350 engine & trans: $500
new mounts: $85
new radiator: $130
new headers: $130
shorten d-shaft: $75

A few other misc items will bring you up to $1k. I ended up rebuilding the 350 in my old truck, so my cost was closer to $1500. But the rebuild wasn't a neccessity, the engine ran fine when I got it.

·
Registered
655 Posts
...also stay away from any transmission with Turbo in the name....the th350s and th400s dont have overdrive....there is no reason to buy one of these transmissions unless you like 10mpg

700r4 is the only way to go with a v8 swap...

seriously, the turbo trannies don't have overdrive?? :eek: i did not know that.

and, to add to the topic, i strongly support the idea of buying the s10v8 swap manual. it'll give you a much clearer picture on what you're about to get into. you can get it off of summit online or www.s10v8.com

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
seriously, the turbo trannies don't have overdrive?? :eek: i did not know that.

and, to add to the topic, i strongly support the idea of buying the s10v8 swap manual. it'll give you a much clearer picture on what you're about to get into. you can get it off of summit online or www.s10v8.com

700r4 and 4l60 is a 4 speed and the older trannies are 3, that is why a th400 is a lot cheaper than a 700r4...less parts

i got the JTR v8s10 manual and the TBI and TPI engine swap book for 58.00 bucks shipped from summit...they have very detailed pictures of the areas you will be modifying

the only downside to s10 manual is that is is geared towards the 1st gens, for 2nd gens they dont go into as much detail about radiator placement, and clearencing issues like they do for the 1st gens, i would say thats the only downfall of the book, it was last copyrighted in 2004 so i would think they would have added a chapter of 2nd gen stuff, but they didnt

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Guys... I don't plan to put anything with fuel injectors in.... i like the sound of a carb... and i like them better... I don't follow any laws about exhaust... i don't have a cat... lol thats a pretty big fine. I plan on buying a crate motor and tranny. that way it's new and don't have to waist my time and have to fix up a used motor... I don't like this four banger i dropped the clutch today and snapped my center support right off! For the third time... is there a performance part i can buy to quit breaking that

1 - 8 of 8 Posts