S-10 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Pushrod for life!
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well here are the pics of my engine swap. i was going to put in a 3.4 but I was having too hard of a time to find one. So instead I am using a 3.1 bored.40 over. Forged camaro pistons with slightly less dish for increased compression. the heads have been plained as well as ported and polished. It will have roller rockers with a performance cam. The valves are recieving a 3 angled cut, on both the valves and the seats.

This is with the engine still in the bay. But pretty much everything taken off of it.

Engine out of the truck getting ready for final disassembly.

Empty engine bay, goung to clean it out and do some painting in there.

Just another shot of the engine. as you can see i removed the transmission from the belhousing. it is much easier to do it this was. This can only be done with manual trannies. So it won't work for the guys with granny trannies.

Here is the intake which i had sitting in varsol and then cleaned up. it will be getting a nice coat of silver paint. You can also see the alternatot which i am polishing and the starter.

Here is the T5 tranny and the flywheel. the flywheel is been sent out this week to be resurfaced.

here is the TB. it was very dirty and i just got finished cleaning it. i will start polishing it up tomorrow. Then i will reassemble it when i recieve the adjustable presure regulator from betterthanyou.

Well that is all the pics that i have for now. i will continue to post ans my project proceeds. So far this has gone very smoothly. Only broken bolts are for the tranny mount, which i will have to drill out and tap. Also a broken bolt on the driver's side manifold(in the flange for the manifold and Y-Pipe) i will be drilling that one out too and tapping. But besides that it has gone well. The hardest work has been cleaning the parts. 13 years of grime.

·
Pushrod for life!
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Here is my timing cover and water pump after i finished painting them. they are both going to get a coat of clear tomorrow.

Here is a pic of the old 2.hate. it is now where it belongs.........Out of the truck

this is the engine bay all cleaned up and painted flat black.

here are my valve covers. i am really happy with the way they turned out.

I am also very pleased with the way the intake turned out. The picture does not do it any justice.

Any way that is it for today. I recieved the engine yesturday but it is still in the crate. i will be putting it on the engine stand tomorrow and start the assembly. i will take a pic of the engine for you guys when it is on the

·
Frame Laying Member
2,068 Posts
looks good, no one would expect a V6 S10 to be fast.

·
Pushrod for life!
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here are some pics of the freshly painted block and heads.

·
Pushrod for life!
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well today i spent most of the day assemblying the engine. there are still a few odds and ends left to do but for the most part it is near completion.

So the project is nearing the end. i still have to install the flywheel clutch and pressure plate. As well as the oil pump and pan. I will be putting the engine in next saturday if the weather is nice.

I am very excited to get her back on the road. i will keep you guys updated.

·
Pushrod for life!
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lowriderbowtie said:
what happened to the roller rockers?
That really looks awesome man....you'll have to let us know how good it hauls!!
couldn't get the rockers to fit.

·
Pushrod for life!
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well today i got the oil pump and the oil pan installed. I also bought some new AC delco plugs. the old plugs were no longer in good shape. besides a new engine deserves new plugs.

Tomorrow i will be installing the Y-pipe and the starter onto the engine. i am putting them on before the engine goes in to make my life more easy.

Next i will have to do the flywheel, pilot bushing, clutch, pressure plat and belhousing. tghese will be done on the hoist since i can not do it while the engine is on the stand. So i will tackle thses the day i put the engine in.

·
Mr. Clean
828 Posts
Looks awesome. Nothing looks as good as a freshly painted motor. Let us know how she runs when yuo get her all back together.

·
Pushrod for life!
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well got everything together today. Turned the key and she started to backfire through the intake. Adjusted the timing and she started right up. loud as hell since i don't have the exhaust on yet. I will be doing that tomorrow.

all that will be left after that is to put the hood back on and break her in. i was nice seeing her run. always fun to see your hard work paying off.

I still have some cleaning up to do as far as organizing the wires and stuff. But here is how she looks so far

·
Registered
902 Posts
Nice man.

·
Pushrod for life!
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks

·
StoGE
114 Posts
nice job man, i just finished swapping my engine of my truck because the guy who had it before me never took care of it so the crankshaft was toast. i swapped a 2.8 back in there that i got rebuilt from the junkyard (it was cheaper then buying a new crankshaft) but i wish i could of thrown a bigger engine in there but due to california smog regulations it has to be the same exact engine that it came stock with :( but all is well and it runs great, nice engine.

·
Pushrod for life!
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well Today i put in my pressure guage and brought the pressure to 13.5psi. i then set the timing to 10BTDC.

I then decided to take her out for a spin. HOLLY **** is she fast. Compared to the 2.hate it is like night and day. And she is still breaking in. I couldn;'t be happier with this swap. It was a lot of work but well worth it in the end!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.